BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 194 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Oil Change twin 5 L Volvo Penta I/O's
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2002 4.3 Mercruiser Oil Change Topic Next Topic: Anybody know anything about valve springs?  

Blue Cruiser

RO# 23441

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  01:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Due to high water and back surgery, we barely put 30 hours on the engines this season. What are your thoughts about me not changing oil and filters on the engines for the this season. I remain undecided. Both lower units were removed and serviced last week. Our boat has about 1060 hours on the engines. Advice requested. In all prior years the oil and filters were changed.

Homeport:

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  08:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of high water preventing you from boating? Low water, but not high.

Anyway, I used to change my oil every year no matter what. Last year, I put less than 20 hours on boat and decided not to do it.
Didn't notice any difference and boat ran the same. But I had a diesel, so oil change for me is big bucks. For you it really isn't alot.

I think the maintenance schedule on most boats is overkill. But if you are still in warranty, be careful, because they love to look for excuses not to pay!

2020 Cobia 280DC

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  08:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you have a head gasket leak, or bad piston rings etc.(you'd know it by looking at dip stick), you'll be just fine. I usually change oil every other year.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

Blue Cruiser

RO# 23441

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  01:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High water levels caused by heavy and frequent rains resulted in massive amount of shoreline debris, logs and other thrash to be deposited in the lake. When the lake level is eleven feet above normal, the dock walkway is under water. When these conditions happen, I prefer not to risk damage to our boat and prefer not to walk through water to get to the boat.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 2002 4.3 Mercruiser Oil Change Topic Next Topic: Anybody know anything about valve springs?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.31 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com