BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 187 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Will I freeze
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Starboard volt meter about 1 volt less than port Topic Next Topic: Too Much Fuel Stabilizer?  

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  13:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life got in the way of winterizing and usually we are good until Thanksgiving weekend but tonight it is predicted to go down to 20 degrees.

Water system, Air conditioning, head, engines are not winterized....any suggestions or will I be ok?

6pm - 33deg
9pm - 29deg
12am - 27deg
03am - 24deg
06am - 22deg
07am - 20deg
08am - 25deg
09am - 29deg
10am - 33deg
Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  14:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the water? What is the forecast for next days? Do you have n electric heater you could hook up? If closed coolant then all that needs draining is the heat exchanger.
Regardless not much sleep tonight.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Nov 08 2019 14:08:24

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  14:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, on land

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  14:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I was you, I would get to the boat ASAP and winterized everything. Below freezing for that long could cause serious issues.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  14:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I m obviously no expert with winterizing but what if the temp drops a little early and doesnít get back up quickly enough. Is it worth the risk?

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  14:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, left work, on train, will take care of as much as I can. Then pray.

I cant believe it got so cold so quick. Ugh!!

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  14:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's harder to find light bulbs that give off a lot of heat these days, but in the past when I've been caught unprepared on a cold night, I filled the engine room ( and anywhere else at risk) with a bunch of shop lights, and left them on all night. That's worked for me, but never tried it with temps going down to 20 - generally used when forecast is right around freezing. And generally that only works if the boat is sitting in your own driveway / yard. Marinas, around here at least, don't like the fire risk of people using electricity to heat their boats sitting on blocks - so most of them walk around and unplug everyone at the end of the day, or just shut the power off.

hopefully you will at least be able to get the motors and air conditioners taken care of today.

Edited by - alk on Nov 08 2019 16:42:42

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  15:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year I bought 250W INFARED HEAT LAMPS at ACE Hardware. Bought for fridge I keep in unheated garage. Compressors don't like temps below freezing. I leave them on 24/7.

Bob J

Edited by - Bob J on Nov 08 2019 15:17:12

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  16:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was me I would worry, but with that said, it takes quite a few days of freezing weather before you may have a problem.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  17:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 Walt. My experience is that it takes a couple of days at a hard freeze. This was also related to me by the manager at a very large boat yard in Connecticut. It is certainly better to be in the water.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  19:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can get to anything tonight I would get to the motors and generator first.
Everything else can wait if you set the cabin up.
I donít have anything winterized yet either, but Iím still in the water so my motors and generator arenít an issue.
I left the heat on in the cabin with cabinets doors open. I donít usually come out until a couple of days before Thanksgiving and have endured one or two early freezes a couple of times with no problems by just running heat in the cabin.
If you can set up a few space heaters in the cabin your water and head systems should be fine.
If the seacock is open for your AC then itís likely that most of the water in it has drained out.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Nov 08 2019 19:16:08

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  22:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys

All done. Had some issues but pushed through them.

Ready for wrap ... and a good night's sleep!

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 09 2019 :  08:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WALSHIE

Thanks guys

All done. Had some issues but pushed through them.

Ready for wrap ... and a good night's sleep!

Nice!
I hold off as long as possible so I get a good spot and can get back in about April 1st.
The downside is freezing my butt off getting her ready to in to hibernation.
But itís worth it.
Iím taking a last ride to a pumpout Dock today and hoping to get a good jump on oil changes and winterizing, generator, waste and freshwater systems this weekend.
Calling for a fuel delivery to top off the tanks this week.
Last ride will be a short one over to the boatyard for haul out.
Once sheís out and blocked, all I have to do is run antifreeze through the motors and AC units.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Starboard volt meter about 1 volt less than port Topic Next Topic: Too Much Fuel Stabilizer?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com