BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Battery maintaining over the winter
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Alternators Topic Next Topic: Anyone else wondering if this year will be a wash?  

justgotaboat

RO# 31427

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  13:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently read a short article in BoatUS magazine (December 2019 page 97 “kappow”) that says you shouldn’t leave your batteries on a car style charger (it says the kind with the alligator clips meant for charging batteries) or the battery could explode from over charging and the production of hydrogen gas. The way it’s worded, I first read it as while you are not on board the boat and gone over a period of time. I then re-read it and it almost sounds like you should never do it period.

I took my batteries out of the boat and put them in my basement. I have a batterytender plus 1.25 amp charger/maintainer (similar to the link below one on amazon). The batteries are interstate marine/RV srm27 with 750 cranking amps and 160 reserve) every week or so I swap the charger/maintainer from one battery to the other. I know the batter tender is an automotive product, but I’m using it in a clean dry basement just to maintain the charge on the batteries. Am I risking damage to the batteries by doing this? Or is this what I’m supposed to be doing?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Plus-Charger-Efficiency/dp/B00D2TSEC2/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=battery+tender+plus&qid=1579976034&sprefix=battery+t&sr=8-11

Homeport: nj

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  13:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't leave them on the charger. Just charge once a month for a day or so and use a hydrometer to see how well they are charged.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  13:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't ever use that charger in the boat because it is not explosion proof and it probably doesn't have proper ground protection and may cause stray current corrosion. In an emergency I have used one briefly with the batterys disconnected.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

justgotaboat

RO# 31427

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  13:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never use it on the boat. Only on batteries in the basement or garage

It claims it maintains the batteries and doesn’t overcharge them though. Still disconnect it? For the majority of the time? Just a top up every so often?

Homeport: nj Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  15:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago , my dentist had 2 wet cell ( 6-cap type maintainable) boat batteries explode in his basement , about a month apart, in the middle of the night while they were hooked up to a low-amp charger, surprisingly probably just a trickle charger. Acid everywhere, cement floor, walls , appliances... . It is unknown whether the ignition source was a spark at the charger clips or furnace/water heater burners.

Most any charger's instruction booklet will advise never charge in a space where there is not good ventilation .
Basements are terrible spots in which to charge, though that is too common.

He only charges outside or in an open garage now because he got tired of replacing batteries and repairing all the damage to his basement.

FWIW, AGM batteries are much less likely to ever outgas explosive hydrogen , though they do have a pressure relief valve in case they are overcharged. Once charged up, they self-discharge at a very low rate so they don't need recharging during 5 or 6 month winter storage like wet cell type . I always use a quality automatic digital display portable charger in ventilated area before and after out of the boat winter storage of my 3 AGM boat batteries.

I would never leave a battery on a constant maintainer charger.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree, put hem on a charger once a month. I quit taking my batteries out of the boat years ago.. Charge them up well at haulout and i turn all the battery switches off and charge again just before launch in the spring. Works for me.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jan 25 2020 :  20:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the OP:
You should be fine with that particular charger.
I’ve been using Battery Tender Plus (the bigger ones) chargers for months at a time in my garage for more than twenty years and never had a problem with them.
Same with just about everyone I ever met in that hobby.
They’re smart chargers.
I hook them up to my Corvette and GTO when those cars go away for the Winter and leave them plugged in until the Spring.
I’ll even use them during the season if the cars are going to stay in the garage for any length of time.
They’re not for use on a boat though and you should never use them on one.
I leave my batteries in my boat all winter.
Like Gregory, they go away healthy and then I charge them up before the boat gets launched in the Spring.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Jan 25 2020 20:19:09

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Jan 26 2020 :  09:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read a few listings on amazon and noticed that the Battery Tender main store showed several other models. Funny that when clicked on this one again it was on sale. This listing looks like the same item for $40. Interesting hoe I also see a ring cable end for under $10 for those who don't like the clips.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0185G-dl-wh-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B00DJ5KEEA?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

gcolton

RO# 9708

Posted - Jan 27 2020 :  05:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy

Years ago , my dentist had 2 wet cell ( 6-cap type maintainable) boat batteries explode in his basement , about a month apart, in the middle of the night while they were hooked up to a low-amp charger, surprisingly probably just a trickle charger. Acid everywhere, cement floor, walls , appliances... . It is unknown whether the ignition source was a spark at the charger clips or furnace/water heater burners.

Most any charger's instruction booklet will advise never charge in a space where there is not good ventilation .
Basements are terrible spots in which to charge, though that is too common.

He only charges outside or in an open garage now because he got tired of replacing batteries and repairing all the damage to his basement.

FWIW, AGM batteries are much less likely to ever outgas explosive hydrogen , though they do have a pressure relief valve in case they are overcharged. Once charged up, they self-discharge at a very low rate so they don't need recharging during 5 or 6 month winter storage like wet cell type . I always use a quality automatic digital display portable charger in ventilated area before and after out of the boat winter storage of my 3 AGM boat batteries.

I would never leave a battery on a constant maintainer charger.

There does not have to be an ignition source or active charging for a battery to explode.

Last year I had a battery in my golf cart explode while I was sitting on it. I had just stopped by the 5th green and the people back on the 4th green heard it.

It will scare a person. I bought a whole new set of batteries.

George

If you are not boating or golfing you are wasting your day.

Edited by - gcolton on Jan 27 2020 05:35:16

Homeport: EAFB Yacht Club Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  00:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just put mine in the garage on top of a convenient piece of wood to keep it off the concrete, trickle charge it whenever I think of it - usually when I happen to be in that corner of the garage and notice it. Might be weekly, might be bi-monthly, but that deep cycle SLA is at least ten years old and still kicking. (AGM’s like the Optimas are nice and fancy and current tech kind of - but you let them discharge once and they are smoked for good. An old school sealed lead acid, long as you top it off every year or three, they’ll last a good long time)

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

bannditt

RO# 24074

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  08:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
once a month charge them on the lowest setting in your garage or basement .go on ebay and buy a cca tester for 20.00 bucks,read the instructions and end all the guessing,i have 2 1000 mca since 2014 last year they were fine

Homeport: ny Go to Top of Page

wiltok

RO# 13336

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  14:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else have battery tenders go bad? I have two that seemed to 'suck out' the charge of the battery. Did I somehow reverse the plug or something. Odd that two did the same thing...

Homeport: Michigan Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Feb 15 2020 :  09:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never left mine hooked up to a tender, I charge them when I winterize the boat in Oct and if the weather in wintertime is good I'll open up the cover and charge them once or twice over the winter. A good battery should hold charge pretty well over 5-6 months though, I have a spare battery for my '07 Jeep and leave it in the garage, charged it for the first time after sitting more than 6 months and it was at 90% when I put the charger on. In a way its actually better NOT to leave them on a tender continuously, that can mask a weak battery that will soon fail when put in service. If it sits 6 months and is still at 90% and tests good with a load or CCA tester then you know it mostly likely won't fail during the season.

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Feb 17 2020 :  09:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

agree, put hem on a charger once a month. I quit taking my batteries out of the boat years ago.. Charge them up well at haulout and i turn all the battery switches off and charge again just before launch in the spring. Works for me.

+1

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

FrankJ5

RO# 33981

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  15:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is a marine Battery 3-stage charger different from a non-marine 3-stage charger?

Homeport: Lumberton,NJ Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Mar 15 2020 :  12:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an experiment this time I did not charge the batteries during the winter, just wanted to see how well both of them held a charge. I knew the older one (bought in 2013) tended not to hold a charge as well as the newer one (bought in 2015). I used my battery tester (new digital style) and the newer of the 2 bats (going on 5 years old) tested good but the older one (going on 7 years old) did not. So I replaced that one and I think ultimately not charging them too often will tell you if they are really good, or not. A good battery should hold its charge pretty well over 6 months storage. Charging it too often unless you have been using stuff on the boat can give you a false sense of security.

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  10:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Non Marine charger == not ignition protected. When you start a fire at the marina and your neighbors boats burn, you won't be popular.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

FrankJ5

RO# 33981

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  11:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

Non Marine charger == not ignition protected. When you start a fire at the marina and your neighbors boats burn, you won't be popular.

I was referring to the OPs comment: I took my batteries out of the boat and put them in my basement.

Homeport: Lumberton,NJ Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  14:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the years I have done many configurations of keeping the battery's charged and have never seen one way or the other add more life to the batteries. My last way of dealing with this was to remove the positive lead, keep the batteries in the boat, no charging over the winter then in the spring reconnect the positive lead and charge with the boat chargers till the boat is launched. So from November till April or the end of March, the batteries just sat with no charging. Pulling off the positive lead ensured there was no power draw. Just be aware, at least on my boats, such items like the carbon monoxide testers and the bilge pumps were wired before the battery switch, so flipping off the battery switch did not kill the power consumption to the battery. Also, my boats have been in LI NY, if you live in an area where the winters are colder than mine, then maybe what I do is not good for you.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  17:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful about removing and replacing the positive terminal on the battery when the negative terminal is connected to that battery.
Safe procedure to disconnect is negative first, then positive.
Safe procedure to connect is positive first, then negative.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Alternators Topic Next Topic: Anyone else wondering if this year will be a wash?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.5 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com