BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Merc Alpha! Gen II outdrive very slow leak?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Crusader Engines  

seachunk2

RO# 20886

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  13:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pressure tested the outdrive after changing the carrier bearing and it's leaking from 16# down to zero at about 1/10th of a pound pressure every 15 seconds. It's about 30 minutes for psi to zero out. I sprayed soapy water all around the assembled outdrive but I'm not finding air bubbles. How much of a concern is this rate of leaking?

Homeport:

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  14:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you certain that it is not the connections you made for the test?

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  14:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not familiar with your set up just trying to help. Is this the exit route for cooling water? If it opens to the outside thee would not be much pressure.

Send Charlie (jtybt) a note

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Mar 22 2020 14:47:15

alien1952

RO# 32487

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  13:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there are no bubbles at the inputshaft, the shiftshaft or the propshaft or your connections then the only other seal is the lower driveshaft seal.To test there you have to split the drive and plug the oil transfer hole in the lower unit and pressurize it.You will have to remove the impeller to see there

aka Bt Doctur

Edited by - alien1952 on Mar 23 2020 13:06:19

Homeport: nj Go to Top of Page

seachunk2

RO# 20886

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  20:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I checked again for leaks. Bubbles were apparent when I Sprayed the soapy water around the shift rod bushing assembly. I'll need to replace it. Hope it's an easy task.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

alien1952

RO# 32487

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  19:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you can just replace the seal and not the complete housing.
26-89236 , Sierra 18-2009.
When removing the shift plate keep the drive vertical, shift into full Fwd, remove the 2 bolts, gently pry up and out.
To install , lube the O rings, carefully insert shift rod making sure your in a straight line , install bolts

aka Bt Doctur

Homeport: nj Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  11:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's important to keep the shift lever in the 12:00 position because the bottom end of the shift shaft is also splined and is aligned with another shift lever to keep the lower shift lever aligned with the lower gears in correct position for smooth shifts. A way to test is the prop will lock up turning counter clockwise and also lock up with the upper shift lever in the 9:00 position and turning upper shift lever to 10:30, the prop should turn freely in both directions.

For the good of the drive, lt's better to leak oil out rather than leak water in.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Edited by - jtybt15 on Mar 26 2020 11:14:58

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  11:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Charlie

Bruce

Topic Next Topic: Crusader Engines  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page