BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chesapeake and Delaware Bays
 Minimum age to operate a boat in MD
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Springtime  

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Apr 19 2020 :  18:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope people still check this dead forum ?

I have been combing the DNR site for a while, and canít quite figure out if MD has a minimum age to operate a boat. I was able to find that you must be 16 for a pwc. And if you did not pass a safety class, and you are under 16, you must have someone on board who is 48 years or older, or has a safety certificate. But what if you are 15, and have passed a safety class? Can you operate a boat? Unsupervised?

ďAs of October 1, 2010, anyone under the age of 16, operating a motorized vessel 11 feet in length or greater WITHOUT a valid boating safety certificate, must be under the supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid boating safety certificate or an individual born before July 1, 1972. ď

Homeport: PA

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Apr 19 2020 :  21:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/boating_law.html

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

jpowell

RO# 15168

Posted - Apr 20 2020 :  08:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
16 year old cannot operate a boat by their self. Minimum age is 18 and you musty take the training class.

Jay Powell
Sailfish 245DC
"Less Cha-Ching"

Homeport: Stevensville, MD Go to Top of Page

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  19:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minimum age is 18? I didnít see that anywhere on the dnr site.

And the boat-Ed site has the same text I copied. But it only Tells me that under 16 canít operate a pwc even if they have a certificate.

It also says anyone under 16 without a certificate canít operate a boat without supervision

But what if they do have a certificate, and donít want to operate a pwc, just a boat? Practically need to hire a lawyer just to decipher this.

Edited by - alk on Apr 21 2020 19:59:23

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

jpowell

RO# 15168

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  20:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MD DNR states you can run a boat at 16 but it must be under the supervision of someone 18 or older.

Jay Powell
Sailfish 245DC
"Less Cha-Ching"

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  23:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I canít find that on the dnr site, or anywhere else. In this Ďbookí

https://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Documents/BoatingSafety/recreationvessels.pdf.

ď The law requires that any person born on, or after July 1, 1972, must have in their possession a certificate of boating safety education while operating a numbered or documented vessel on Maryland waters. The certificate may be obtained by completing an approved boating safety course or passing an equivalency examination.....

ďAs of Oct. 1, 2010, anyone under the age of 16 operating a motorized vessel 11 feet in length or greater without a valid boating safety certificate must be supervised by an individual 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid boating safety certificate or an individual born before July 1, 1972ď

The only mention of age is talking about people WITHOUT a valid boater safety certificate. My kids arenít going to get near the controls until they have a valid safety certificate.

Not sure I will let them, but nothing I can find says they arenít allowed to.

I have to say, this is really a messed up regulation. First paragraph says everyone who is under 48 years old must have a safety certificate to operate a vessel, but next paragraph says a child under 16, with no minimum age ever stated, can operate a vessel without a safety certificate as long as there is an adult with a certificate ( or over 48 years old /grandfathered) on the boat.

Who comes up with this stuff? Itís like saying any ten year old can drive a car, as long as daddy is with him. But once he turns sixteen, he had has to get a drivers license to drive his father around. Makes no sense at all. Or am I misreading it? Whatís next, let em drink and drive he boat, but only if they are under 21? (:

Edited by - alk on Apr 22 2020 00:02:28

jpowell

RO# 15168

Posted - Apr 23 2020 :  01:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says that in the second paragraph.

Jay Powell
Sailfish 245DC
"Less Cha-Ching"

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Apr 23 2020 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says ď anyone under the age of 16...WITHOUT a.. certificate must be supervised by an individual 18 years of age or olderĒ

So based on that text, anyone under 16 WITH a certificate does not require supervision? Else why would not just say ďanyone under 16 requires supervisionĒ ?

In other words, what is the age regulation for people who have the certificate? They never say.

I tried to call them for a clarification, but offices closed.

Edited by - alk on Apr 23 2020 10:53:40

Topic Next Topic: Springtime  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com