BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: lingunbackpink ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Moriches Bay 2020
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: anchor rode rigging  

sierra

RO# 28541

Posted - Apr 24 2020 :  12:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should south shore boating approach normalcy this coming season, here's a good starting point for this year's discussion...

From week 16 of the 2020 LNM
Moriches Bay Shoaling:

Severe shoaling is present in Moriches Bay along the Long Island Intracoastal Waterway in the vicinity of Moriches Bay Buoys 24, 26, 27, 28, and 29 extending the entire width of the channel at nearly all tide levels. The area from Buoys 24 to 29 is only navigable at the operators risk. The most severe area of shoaling can be found between buoys 26 and 28 and is less than half the charted channel depth in some areas. Mariners should be aware that the Aids to navigation in these areas are unreliable due to shoaling and mariners are strongly advised to seek alternate routes.

Moriches Bay Nav Aid Change:
The U.S. Coast Guard is considering making the following changes to this waterway: Severe shoaling conditions in Moriches Bay in the vicinity of the following aids.

DISCONTINUE the following aids:
Moriches Bay Buoy 26 (NO LLNR Assigned)
Moriches Bay Buoy 27 (NO LLNR Assigned)
Moriches Bay Buoy 28 (NO LLNR Assigned)
Moriches Bay Lighted Buoy 29 (NO LLNR Assigned)

ESTABLISH the following aids, each aid will be white and orange with an orange diamond and marked "DANGER SEVERE SHOALING AHEAD" and located to the east and west of the most severe shoaling in the vicinity of buoys 24 to 29;
Moriches Bay West Warning Buoy in approximate position 40-47.002N 072-44.612W
Moriches Bay East Warning Buoy in approximate position 40-47.321N 072-43.176W

Interested Mariners are strongly encouraged to comment on this proposal in writing, either personally or through their organization. All comments will be carefully considered and are requested prior to 12 June 2020 to complete the process. In order to most effectively consider your feedback and improve the data collection, when responding to this proposal, please include size and type of vessel, recreational or commercial, and distance from aid that you start looking for it, and if and how you use the signal. Please do not call the Coast Guard via telephone or other means, only written responses to this proposal will be accepted. Refer to Project No. 01-20-035. E-mail can be sent to: D01-SMB-DPWPublicCommentsrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tuscg.mil . Chart 12352 (First District LNM Week 16/2020)

Homeport: East Coast, USA

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Apr 24 2020 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately if boats don't run east it will fill in worse. It is the constant running of boats that helps keep it from filling in.
If this goes on and people just go out and anchor and don't head to block, montauk, or other points east, it will fill in.
Hopefully the locals will run it!
Either way, nothing some dredging can't fix.

2020 Cobia 280DC

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Stolat

RO# 13929

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  07:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone made this run yet? I was planning on taking this route out East In a few weeks but now Iím strongly reconsidering.

Morgan Rose
1993 330 Sea Ray Sundancer
Patchogue, N.Y.

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

dcwjd

RO# 26133

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  10:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should call seatow moriches or boatus and get the latest info and see if it's passable. A few years back i called them and followed them through an unmarked route and it worked out fine.

2007 Sea Ray 48 Sundancer

Homeport: East Meadow, New York Go to Top of Page

dcwjd

RO# 26133

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  09:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been through that can update?? I'm thinking of taking a long weekend to West Hampton i would need to go through this area.

funinthesun

RO# 15721

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  11:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the WHB marina a few days ago (by bicycle, not boat) and he was saying there's been no one from the west via Moriches at all this season so far, with almost no reservations set up.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

dcwjd

RO# 26133

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  13:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thatís what I figured. Thanks.

ronbo

RO# 4007

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  20:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Anybody run this route lately?
Thinking of heading to Westhampton from Bellmore in a couple of weeks?

Trying to find out how bad the shoaling is?

Thanks
Ron

Homeport: bellmore Go to Top of Page

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  02:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Before they dredged, Sea Tow used to help guide boaters through. Maybe a call to them would give you the info you need.

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  11:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the Sea Tow Moriches FB page. They answered a question yesterday: "you dont need to go down to the inlet and back up but you do need to go up into Harts cove then over to Seatuck before heading back out to bouy 30. Same as 2 years ago but no bouys this time".

Probably best to talk to them.

Thanks,
Ron

Homeport: Amityville, NY Go to Top of Page

ronbo

RO# 4007

Posted - Jul 21 2020 :  07:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your input guys, Going on the 30th. I will reach out to Sea Tow and let you know how I make out.

Ron

funinthesun

RO# 15721

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  23:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, how did it go?

ronbo

RO# 4007

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  18:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I talked to the boat us captain and he gave me a screenshot of the way to go. FYI the bouys have been removed at this location. I arrived in that area 1 hr before high tide , at the lowest point I saw about 3í6Ē.
I left about 1 hr after high high tide and never saw less that 4í. I did ask the Boat US captian how low it gets at low tide, he said under 3ft. . I would definitely do it again but only within an hour of high tide

I will post the track from the Boat US captain if someone can tell me how to add a pic!

Ron

Edited by - ronbo on Aug 10 2020 13:28:25

funinthesun

RO# 15721

Posted - Aug 10 2020 :  16:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron - I grabbed this from elsewhere on this site - if it doesn't work can you email to elangone at optonline dot net?

1) Go to www.photobucket.com (any other free photo hosting site that allows embedding can be used but most folks use photobucket as it's free and user friendly).
2) Create an account by clicking the "Join Now" tab in the middle of the page towards the top.
3) Create a user name and password for your new account and click "next step".
4) Fill in the other info they ask for that you are comfortable giving out but they require at least email, gender, and zip code. To my knowledge photobucket does NOT spam so little worry there.
5) You will be routed to your account "home page." This is where you upload photos onto the photobucket site. You will need your pictures saved onto your harddrive, or, if your camera/picture card is directly plugged into your computer at time of upload, you can upload from there as well.
6) Click on the "Choose files" icon. This pulls up a directy from your computer. Select the appropriate file and image you want to upload. Once selected it will auto upload it to your photobucket account. It will take you to another page after uploaded where it asks you if you want to give the image a title which you can do or ignore. Once done there, click on "return to album."
7) You will be taken back to your "photo album" where you will now see the image you just uploaded. Place your mouse over that image. You will see a menu drop down that says "Email and IM, Direct Link, HTML Code, and IMG Code." IMG Code is what you want to select to post here. Essentially, the photo remains on the photobucket page but you are "embedding" it here on boatered...it allows it to be visible here but without using up boatered site bandwidth to host the image.
8) Put your mouse over the IMG Code section and right click to bring down another drop down menu. Select "COPY" from that drop down menu.
9) Open another browser page and come here to boatered.com. Start the thread you want to have a picture posted in and type away. When you are ready to insert the picture, place the curser exeactly where you want the picture to appear in your post. Once curser is in the correct spot, right click on your mouse and select "PASTE". It will paste the IMG code you copied in step #8.
10) Click "Post New Topic" below your new thread here on boatered.com Your new thread will appear and your image will be viewable by all.

One other option...when you go to upload, instead of clicking on "choose file" as noted in step #6 above, you can click on "bulk uploaded" or "old uploader." This will allow you to upload multiple files at once with less work. I typically prefer the old uploader format but either works and it is a lot easier to do it that way if you are wanting to upload/post 10-20 pictures or more as part of a for sale ad here on boatered.com.

Topic Next Topic: anchor rode rigging  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com