BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 308 ]  [ Total: 308 ]  [ Newest Member: Turtleman ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 VHF antenna?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Possible Tornado on Lake Lanier  

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  23:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I several years ago I replaced my VHF antenna I don't remember what brand I bought but at the advice of Wireless One I bought what he said was the best at the time. A few years later I replaced my VHF radio with a Gramin 200 which integrates with all my electronics however my signal strength if fair at best. I have friends with inexpensive equipment that blows my setup away in regards to sending and receiving. My question is should a replace my antenna again and if so what it the best one to buy standard 8` whip. I'm tired of not being heard!
Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Stamford, CT

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  13:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, you have only 2 choices for each. Icom or Standard Horizon for the radio. Shakespeare or Digital for antenna; using the top of the line in each.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  15:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stick a SWR meter on it and see how things look? Double check connections. Weather, time, water can take a toll on them. I had a water proof connection for sat tv that looked fine on the outside but was junk inside.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespeare--swr-watts-out-rx-sensitivity-meter--6886915?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%3ENonB%3EProduct%2520Type-_-6886915&product_id=6886915&creative=108421552444&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyJn5BRDrARIsADZ9ykF40TQSH2mSndFGu6O9-on1P9KfPymt5icFeMcYM2wn8HAjUGXTaowaAhkUEALw_wcB

Edited by - boatbum on Aug 02 2020 15:20:46

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  18:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Shakespeare and it works well (don't remember the model). If you have a lot of obstructions, maybe you can just add an extension to raise your current antenna.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  08:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a viable VHF is a key component to safe boating! I assume your current antenna is on/near the top of your arch - if not, like Stephen recommends add an extension so the 'working part' is above the arch. Also, is it perpendicular to the ground? Some boaters lean their antenna's back, cuz it looks cool. However, for greatest range VHF antenna's need to be straight up; even a noticeable tilt would affect range.

Now assuming the above recommendations don't apply, then by all means replace the antenna.

-Gene
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  18:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an 8' digital mounted on the top of the arch nothing obstructing the antenna. It has never been great when I first installed it I needed a small cable extension which I assumed was an issue. Later I switch which side of the arch the antenna was mounted on and the eliminated the need for the extension but still didn't improve the signal. I replace the radio from an old Icom to a Garmin 200 unit which I really like but still not a great signal. I guess I should mentioned the first thing I replaced was the antenna because the old one was dry rotted and giving splinters if you touched it. I really don't know if the original antenna worked any better I hadn't realized or noticed an issue before I replaced the antenna.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Stamford, CT Go to Top of Page

Rustydog

RO# 21393

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  10:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to what boatbum said, Check your system with a VSWR bridge. It eliminates guessing. You could have 100 watts of power and most all of it be reflected back due to bad coax, connections or a bad antenna. You could garbage a brand new piece of coax by mishandling. A lot of bridges have power meters to verify the transmitter.

Ken

Homeport: Bethel Park, Pa/ Avon Park, Fl Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  12:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked all of the electrical connections to the VHF?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  20:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

Have you checked all of the electrical connections to the VHF?

The culprit usually is the connector on the end of the coax. Soldering is the best, but difficult to do correctly, and the solderless connectors are terrible.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  22:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power is clean the antenna came with a per terminated mini connector and a screw on adapter there was nothing to terminate this said even if there was given what I do for a living soldering would not be an issue!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  23:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ordered an swr meter it is the only thing that makes any sense as to testing. I should have it in time for next weekend to test things out. I would love to believe it is just a bad cable maybe I will get lucky!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Topic Next Topic: Possible Tornado on Lake Lanier  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com