BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 217 ]  [ Newest Member: Steve717 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 What anti-freeze to use for engine winterization?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fuel flow meter on MPI engines Topic Next Topic: Never kept a boat in the water before  

BillWilliams

RO# 2904

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  20:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is probably a silly question but what anti-freeze do you good folks use?

For the last 20 years I've been using conventional automotive antifreeze and I figure that has to be a more economical choice that works as well.

Thanks
Bill W.
1999 Formula 260ss - "Bare Necessity 2"

Homeport: Ripley, OH

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  22:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always use propylene glycol - this stuff. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine---50-f-engine-water-system-antifreeze-gallon--499848?recordNum=2

Some people go cheaper, and put the potable water tank antifreeze into their motors - this stuff - but doesn’t have the same corrosion resistance, I believe. Probably works though. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit---50-f-marine-rv-water-system-glycol-alcohol-antifreeze-gallon--14823330?recordNum=1

You can go stronger, for up to -100 protection - but not sure if that is overkill or not. Depends on your climate. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine---100-f-engine-water-system-antifreeze-gallon--363798?recordNum=3

I’ve never used automotive antifreeze - because it’s toxic to animals, and also tastes very good - dangerous combination, Too many dogs in my neighborhood to just flush that stuff out of the motor.

Edited by - alk on Aug 21 2020 23:03:03

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  09:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatever you are thinking of using, put a jug of it in the freezer at the lowest temp you might see. For us that's about zero. I found that both the -50 and -60 got solid but did not break the plastic jug, the -100 stays liquid. I would not want something that gets solid inside of a cast iron engine. So the -50 and -60 for me is out, even though they are widely used.
There is yet another cheaper alternative to the -100, if you can find Sierra brand PG antifreeze, if you mix it up 50/50 it gives freeze protection down to -26*F, and has enough anti corrosion additives to be used as an engine coolant but is still a PG non tox antifreeze. This is what I use now...at zero degrees it stays liquid just like the more expensive -100 I used to use. It's roughly half the cost of the -100, I think approx $7.50 per gallon (a gallon of Sierra costs about $14-$15 but when you mix it with water you get 2 gallons to use), the -100 was about $14 for one gallon IIRC. More than the cheap stuff (-50 or -60) but much better. Keep in mind that they get solid a few degrees above zero, the -50 or -60 is not freeze temp its burst temp, what temp a copper pipe will burst.

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Edited by - LouC on Aug 22 2020 09:41:59

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page

BillWilliams

RO# 2904

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  10:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you

Bill W.

Homeport: Ripley, OH Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  15:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're using regular ethylene glycol to winterize the raw water sections of your engines, you shouldn't be. Way too toxic, illegal to dump in waterways and dangerous to let it run down your driveway. Could kill some neighborhood dogs that are attracted to it by the sweet smell.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Aug 28 2020 :  14:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the pink stuff as per my mechanic here in NY. We do engines, generator, AC, head, waste & fresh water systems with it.

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Sep 09 2020 :  20:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use normal toxic automobile coolant then you should try and catch it and dispose of properly. Many people use the pink RV antifreeze for winterizing. I typically drain the block then fill with the RV pink antifreeze.

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  11:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
definitely do not use the toxic ethylene glycol antifreeze because you will inevitably spill it when draining it and/or when you start up in the spring it will get all over wherever the boat has been stored. For sure do NOT start it up in the water!
If you get close to zero or below temps then what I said above I feel holds true, use the -100 which has a more than adequate freeze protection (the -100 is burst protection, the actual freeze protection is approx -55*F), or mix up the Sierra PG antifreeze 50/50 with water that gives you -26*F freeze protection. That's what I do now....

BillWilliams

RO# 2904

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  15:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. Yeah, I have been using the toxic stuff (I know, that's bad). We live out in the country and so I'm not concerned about neighbors animals and I have always started it on the ear muffs to flush the engine. I'll be switching over to the pink stuff this time.

Bill W.

Homeport: Ripley, OH Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  07:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I'M wrong, but aren't there several types of propylene glycol antifreeze? Some are exclusively for potable water systems and some with corrosion inhibitors are for winterizing marine engines?

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  08:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pink RV stuff at Walmart has some corrosion inhibitors as there is likely to be some non plastic parts in the RV water system. Brass, bronze, copper, probably not aluminum or cast iron. Places like West Marine sell anti freeze specifically for boat engines and it goes to a lower freezing point. More $$ than the pink RV stuff, and in theory better and less corrosion. But an awful lot of boaters use the pink RV stuff.

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  14:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main difference in the "pink" antifreeze is some are ethanol glycol and others are propylene glycol based. The ethanol glycol is usually cheaper and does not have the anti-corrosion properties propylene glycol has (it's alcohol based). I always pay a little extra for the propylene glycol, I am more interested in corrosion protection than freezing. Also, these antifeezes are not designed to stay liquid down to their rated temperature - they will freeze solid sometimes. The difference is they do not expand like water when they freeze.

Edited by - BillK on Sep 11 2020 14:47:46

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  14:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did panic about 15 years ago, was doing some engine work over the winter, pulled a head off, and was horrified to see the motor filled with frozen “pink stuff”. But as you said, it wasn’t solid ice, like you get with water, was more like shaved ice, could stick my finger right through it.

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Sep 14 2020 :  16:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is correct, some are for water supplies, and don't use corrosion inhibitors, you should use the type of PG antifreeze that's meant for engine systems, with corrosion inhibitors. The West Marine -100 stuff and the Sierra PG stuff both have it. Personally the only AF I will put in an engine is the kind that stays liquid well below zero. No -50 or -60 stuff for me.

LouC

RO# 10314

That is correct, some are for water supplies, and don't use corrosion inhibitors, you should use the type of PG antifreeze that's meant for engine systems, with corrosion inhibitors. The West Marine -100 stuff and the Sierra PG stuff both have it. Personally the only AF I will put in an engine is the kind that stays liquid well below zero. No -50 or -60 stuff for me.

LouC

RO# 10314

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  08:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BillK,you have it backwards. Ethylene glycol is the one with corrosion inhibitors (plain old car antifreeze), while propylene glycol is the pink stuff for potable water systems etc. Some propylene glycol can be used for engine winterization because they add corrosion inhibitors. Sierra is propylene glycol made for car radiators.

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  09:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am talking about ethanol glycol, not ethylene glycol -- there are two formulas of the pink stuff. The cheapest pink at Walmart is ethanol glycol, the more expensive pink at say West Marine is propylene glycol.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  08:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BillK, ethylene glycol is ethanol glycol. Ethanol is ethanol=a type of alcohol. At least it was when I took organic chemistry and pharmacology. Pink (propylene) is pink for a reason, to differentiate it from ethylene glycol(usually green for identification).

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  15:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then maybe I have my terminology wrong - I always thought there was an ethanol based pink antifreeze and a propylene glycol based - the ethanol (alcohol) one being cheaper and not having the anti corrosion properties. Figured that was why the Walmart brand is $2.50/gal and the West Marine stuff is $5/gal.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  15:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old Glycol formulations had a lower freeze point at 50% water mix than at 100%. I would look at the makers freeze chart.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Sep 16 2020 15:29:17

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  08:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BillK, yes. it's just West marine pricing on boat related stuff. Propylene glycol is pink. where it gets confusing is Sierra Low tox (propylene glycol) used for car radiators for people who don't want to use the highly toxic ethylene glycol. Sierra may not be pink--I don't know.

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  09:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sierra is a coolant/antifreeze. I think Amsoil's coolant/antifreeze is the same kind of low tox antifreeze. But the bulk of what is in West Marine is an antifreeze only for winterization. Not for using in the engine when the engine is running for the summer. Typically the pink RV stuff is used for the fresh water systems in a boat and the more expensive stuff with better corrosion properties is used in the engine. But many use the pink stuff for everything.

While manifolds, risers and engines fail from corrosion, I would bet the amount of corrosion that happens over the winter is tiny. Corrosion is chemical and less happens during cold temperatures like the winter. Salt water is what causes most corrosion.

Previous Topic: Fuel flow meter on MPI engines Topic Next Topic: Never kept a boat in the water before  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com