BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 278 ]  [ Total: 278 ]  [ Newest Member: GrecRI2 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Engine hours
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Run, Sally is coming: Topic Next Topic: Remember the Missouri duck boat Tragedy?  

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Sep 14 2020 :  21:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of now I have 800 hours on my 2005 Merc 496 engines. I have a Formula 37PC. I'm thinking of upgrading in my boat in 2 years? In 2 years I will have over 900 hours. Do you think I will have a tough time selling my boat with those kind of hours?

Homeport:

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  08:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not unless you coincidentally don't winterrize properly this winter and crack the block.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  15:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the engines FWC or RWC and operated in FW or SW? You have all the maintenance records showing you adhered to Merc's recommended schedule , right?

If FWC and proper maintenance was performed , 800 is still pretty low hours.

FWIW-I had '88 carbed FWC Crusader 5.7's in SW that had 2700+ hrs on them and still ran OK when I replaced them in 2003 with new FWC Crusader 5.7L MPI's that now have 2800+ hrs on them too. May have to replace soon just due to a mysteriously faulty irreplaceable wiring harness on 1 of them though.

Sandy

Edited by - Sandy on Sep 15 2020 15:19:26

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy- That's a lot of hours. I'm in NY and yes they are FW cooled. They have been well maintained and look very clean.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  16:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug- Sounds good & if they are MPI engines, the engine scans would be good support they are in good shape for a prospective buyer. They would include actual total hours and those run at reach 1000 rpm increments since the original commissioning and of course any un-erased code alerts plus all the normal-running diagnostic parameter data. All helpful to both seller & buyer on a good running engine

Sandy

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sandy- Great information.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWC Crusader 5.7L MPI's that now have 2800+ hrs on them

WOW - That made me feel good! I have the same engines, 2001. At and 'only' 800 hours, I was starting to wonder. I do burn about a quart of oil if I run for about 8hrs hard / on plane. I think that's acceptable, what do you guys think?

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  10:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sold my last boat with over 1000 hours on 454 FW cooled Crusaders. That was 10 years ago, the boat now has over 1400 hrs on those engines and they are still running fine.

It's all about maintenance and not beating the hell out of them.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  13:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walshie IMO you are doing great. Just keep the water out. IMO marine engines rarely wear out they die from water ingestion or bad gas or rusting valves or rings from not being used. Use the boat often and it will live a long life.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  14:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FIXED IT FOR YOU: Use the boat often and both you and the boat will live a long life.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  22:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WALSHIE

FWC Crusader 5.7L MPI's that now have 2800+ hrs on them

WOW - That made me feel good! I have the same engines, 2001. At and 'only' 800 hours, I was starting to wonder. I do burn about a quart of oil if I run for about 8hrs hard / on plane. I think that's acceptable, what do you guys think?

I guess it's acceptable as long as you check it during that 8 hrs and don't let it get below the hash marks.

Those are pretty small engines for a 33' pretty heavy boat.
Between my 2 engines I'd say they don't burn a qt. total in 50+ hrs boat run time after 17 yrs /2800+ hrs. .

Do you know what your present attainable WOT RPM is with normal load and full tanks?

You might check the plugs and think about a compression test since oil is likely getting past the rings ( but maybe stem seals?)

Have you checked all the oil lines and oil filter and oil cooler for any possible leaks. ( Any bilge water sheen or in the b. pump discharge?)

Sandy

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  10:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have checked for leaks. I removed, had heads re-built a couple of years ago so, I'm guessing it would be rings if anything.

Yes, at 16,800 pounds, the boat feels underpowered, its frustrating. I cruise at 3800 rpm at about 18.5mph (ranges from 17-20 depending on tide) and burn 30gph total

I definitely keep the engines tuned up, looking for extra mileage. I even media blasted and re-painted the bottom this spring, didn't help. Next I plan on getting a fuel flow meter to find the sweet spot. Actually, I will start a thread on that.

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  17:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More important is ability to momentarily presently attain 5000 rpm at WOT under full normal load. Much less than that and the props are over-pitched and engines overloaded which can contribute to oil burn and high cylinder temps and related wear and reduced longevity. .

Sandy

Previous Topic: Run, Sally is coming: Topic Next Topic: Remember the Missouri duck boat Tragedy?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com