BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 327 ]  [ Total: 332 ]  [ Newest Member: Steve717 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Fuel flow meter on MPI engines
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: dipstick and tube Topic Next Topic: What anti-freeze to use for engine winterization?  

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  10:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago I installed fuel flow meters on my carbuerated twin 305 boat and loved them.

Now I have a 2001 Silverton with 350 Crusaders, MPI. It has low and high pressure fuel pumps with a return from the fuel rail to the tank (or maybe its the high pressure pump reservoir).

If its to the reservoir, I guess what passes through is eventually burned. However, if the fuel returns to the tank, how do you account for what is returned? Do you need 2 sensors per engine?

I did some research and did not find this to be a problem, people installed after market fuel flow meters and love them.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  15:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walshie, when I installed fuel flow sensors on my carbed 454s, there was a section about systems with fuel return lines (fuel injection). i didn't pay much attention to it because it didn't apply to me. It wasn't a 2 sensor solution if I remember.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  18:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2003 Crusader 5.7L MPI engines each have FloScan 9000 tach/ hour meter/ GPH/ NMPG ( interfaced with GPS SOG for economy display)/ and fuel-used resettable totalizer.
But when I ordered the engines I stipulated they had to be returnless fuel system just so I could continue to use the FloScans. Floscan didn't/doesn't sell a fuel management system for return-type gas engines.
I also have a B&G NetEngineSystem display which provides a plethora of data directly from both engines' ECMs including GPH from which the B&G also calculates Gal.-Used and resettable totalizer for both engines. Very accurate. B&G hasn't sold those displays for a long time and I don't think they would connect to the 2001 Crusaders, not sure.

If yours do return excess pumped fuel to the tanks, you might check with Maretron who have an FFM100 system for compensating for the return flow. Their diagrams just show it for diesel engines that all have returns but it just ....might... be compatible with return gasoline systems too.

https://www.maretron.com/products/ffm100.php

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

PilotError

RO# 13077

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  18:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, let me know if you find a solution. I have MPI Crusader 502s with return lines in my Silverton and would very much like to add fuel flow meters.

Homeport: Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  18:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another possibility for you might be a $295/ea. Fox Gateway to connect your 2001 MEFI-3?( or MEFI-2?) ignition engines to your MFDs to display GPH and other engine data via NMEA 2000. (My engines are MEFI-4)
I don't think it calculates gallons-used or NMPG, but ECM algorithm-calculated GPH is a start. That's based on injector open time, so returned fuel is irrelevant.

https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=81

Sandy

Planeguy

RO# 1963

Posted - Sep 24 2020 :  20:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking into fuel flow transducers for my 1995 Silverton 41C with 502's. FloScan will be coming out with updated sensors either later this year or early next year. I also have the return fuel lines.

My tolerance for Islam ended on 9-11-01!

Homeport: Huron, Ohio Go to Top of Page

bone354

RO# 27559

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  16:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Sandy above said. I put the Fox gateways on my 2000 Mercruiser Horizon MPI. If you your GPS is is newer and has the gauges it will tell fuel burned, MPG . You have to build a backbone network(something like that} which wasn't hard to do. It has bluetooth and you can get the app and it will give you all the info capable of your ECM right to your phone. Temp,Volt and gph and a bunch of other stuff. It wont show oil pressure but I believe you can change that sending unit if you want that.

Edited by - bone354 on Sep 25 2020 16:19:06

Homeport: Hauppauge,New york Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  16:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I tell if my 2001 Crusaders Captains Choice are MEFI-2/3/4? That sounds like a great app!

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Sep 26 2020 :  00:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this link will come through, but this should at least show the visual difference between the ECU s for MEFI-1&2, and MEFI-3 & 4 ( & MEFI-5).
https://www.custombuiltmotors.com/images/MEFI/mefi%20all.jpg

But best way I would think is just scan the engine . The scan will "discover" which MEFI-(?) version you have, once you turn the key just to Run position.

Sandy

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Sep 26 2020 :  06:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My diesel floscans have delivery and return sensors on both engines = 4 sensors.

I love them!

DEADLY ACCURATE !

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Oct 01 2020 :  09:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, I finally took pics of the MEFI module, it looks like I have to scan it to see if I have a 3 or 4.

Check it out in the album. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ytSgwb75QffveJ458

I'm leaning toward the FOX Gateway, that sounds perfect. I also would like to upgrade my GPS to most likely a Simrad NSS EVO3. Does anyone have experience using that unit with the Fox?

PS - thanks for the awesome tip, the last thing I want to do is cut and mess with my fuel lines!

EDIT: WAIT - F$CK, I need TWO units, oy!

Edited by - WALSHIE on Oct 01 2020 09:56:52

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

bone354

RO# 27559

Posted - Oct 01 2020 :  18:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sticker might be on the back of it. You could also maybe send that picture to Fox.

Homeport: Hauppauge,New york Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: dipstick and tube Topic Next Topic: What anti-freeze to use for engine winterization?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com