BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 171 ]  [ Total: 176 ]  [ Newest Member: Steve717 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Boatless
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ALL BOATERED MEMBERS PLEASE CHECK IN HERE Topic Next Topic: Replacing drain plug sleeve  

getakey

RO# 32379

Posted - Nov 06 2020 :  16:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sold my big boat several years ago
Just sold my 2001 Malibu. Kept my slalom ski for nostalgia

Homeport: CA

Bruce Herrington

RO# 2612

Posted - Nov 07 2020 :  07:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We downsized a year ago, no regrets.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.Ē Benjamin Franklin

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Nov 07 2020 :  08:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here. We bought a house on the lake, left the marina and downsized. Life is easier. We spend the day on the lake with friends and come home and walk into the house. Miss some of the social aspect of the marina but not the drama.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Roy

RO# 114

Posted - Nov 07 2020 :  21:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have both a boat and an RV. Thinking of selling the boat and keeping the RV. As one of my best friends once said: "At least with the RV, you don't have to worry about the anchor dragging."

"Livin' life in the laid back lane" - Sunny Jim

Homeport: Sarasota FL Go to Top of Page

Pburp

RO# 3002

Posted - Nov 08 2020 :  13:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had not been out on our boat since our daughter lost her battle with cancer 5 years ago. This summer, our old neighbor contacted me and asked if I had thought about selling the boat. It was a tough decision but I'd rather see someone making some enjoyable memories on her. I'll forever have the memories of the good times spent boating with my daughter.

Homeport: Lake Anna, VA Go to Top of Page

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Nov 08 2020 :  20:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pburp

We had not been out on our boat since our daughter lost her battle with cancer 5 years ago. This summer, our old neighbor contacted me and asked if I had thought about selling the boat. It was a tough decision but I'd rather see someone making some enjoyable memories on her. I'll forever have the memories of the good times spent boating with my daughter.

So sorry for your loss. I canít imagine? Thank goodness for those good times on your boat. Donít let those memories go

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  09:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sold the big boat a few years ago and bought a beach house. The last few years with the boat, all we did was motor over th the beach and stay there fir a few days at a clip. I love the house. The hauling and loading the boat got old. The house rents in a second if we arent using it. Still have a center console. At night I do miss the rocking of the boat and the slapping of the water on the sides but until we run the house AC at night we can hear the ocean.

Homeport: long island, n.y. Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  09:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We swallowed the anchor as well. Have a great view of the bay now.

I was not able to get around on the boat or do the ER stuff I did for so long. I dont miss the boat very much but do miss all the camaraderie.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Nov 11 2020 09:58:19

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  10:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We spent almost the entire summer on our boat. Thank God we had it to get away during this insane pandemic. Not sure what we would have done if we didn't have it. Got to spend plenty of time with good friends at the marina, as well as our two-week trip out to Eastern LI and Block Island.

Winterized it last weekend, and as Biden said, "It's going to be a very dark winter"

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  12:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sold my fish/ski combo to a random guy who stopped by my house about a year ago, cold-calling. It was a bit odd, but his cash was good and we were both happy with the deal.

Today, we're buying a 31' houseboat on Lake Shasta. Is it the third happiest day in a boater's life when he knows he's buying his last boat?

So, is the name change ritual the same for a houseboat on a lake? "Hakuna Matata" is a lovely phrase, but I'd rather be a little less "Disney" and a little more "low profile" cruising the lake.

speedo
Redding, CA

Edited by - speedo on Nov 21 2020 14:30:51

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  12:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the ritual remains mandatory, but it may be regionalized.

But the music and libations are still important!

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  13:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Radioactive

I think the ritual remains mandatory, but it may be regionalized.

But the music and libations are still important!

I recall that it requires removing EVERY item with the name on it and that may be the stumbling point. The current owner said the previous owner "puked Hakuna Matata themed stuff all over the boat".

speedo
Redding, CA

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  14:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee, hee. Now you know why the price was so low...

I don't have a solution for that one however.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  14:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speedo;
we rented a HB on Shasta years ago. Great fun. Hope that you and the family have a great time.
We should have a naming poll on BE.. You probably wouldn't like "sloodo"

Bruce

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  14:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Radioactive

Hee, hee. Now you know why the price was so low...

I don't have a solution for that one however.

LOL, could be! They'd dropped the price by $10k a week or two previous. Turns out we know the owners...even though they're in Ohio.

speedo
Redding, CA

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  14:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

speedo;
we rented a HB on Shasta years ago. Great fun. Hope that you and the family have a great time.
We should have a naming poll on BE.. You probably wouldn't like "sloodo"

Bruce, our family vacations from '59 to about '71 were in a boat-in campground. There were no improvements and we'd set up camp for a couple of weeks. Have houseboated on the lake quite a few times, too. 365 miles of shoreline and it's easy to find a little cove to tuck into. Marina is 20 miles from home.

speedo
Redding, CA

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  16:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sold my Whaler Conquest this summer, but we kept the baby Whaler for fun.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)
PETA now selling "I hate Bill D." T-shirts

Homeport: Gulf Shores, Alabama Go to Top of Page

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  18:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hit a snag with insurance and need a survey. He's doing it tomorrow at 10:00am, report by 2:00 pm. $7.50/ft. That's borderline free, I think.

speedo
Redding, CA

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  14:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a lot to survey on a houseboat.

I guess there must be pump outs on the lake.

Bruce

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  15:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are all set for a great time. My memory of Shasta coves was climbing up a small hill into a grave of trees and got the worst case of poison oak ever.

I also remember billions of stars.

Does the lake frieze in winter?

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Nov 21 2020 16:41:43

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  20:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Survey took a couple of hours and he found that the boat was 43', not the 31 or 32 on registration documents. Not sure how that happened, must have been some deck added, but I don't see evidence of 11 or 12 feet. Minor issue with some loose wiring, but not a hazard. I picked up the survey and delivered it to the insurance company and they bound coverage the following morning. Took possession yesterday and moved it to new marina. Primo slip, vacated by the houseboat that was purchased by the sellers of the one we just bought. Serendipity.

Bruce, there are pumpouts at seven or eight marinas on the lake, including ours, of course. Doesn't freeze, though there's usually a little snow in the winter.

speedo
Redding, CA

Previous Topic: ALL BOATERED MEMBERS PLEASE CHECK IN HERE Topic Next Topic: Replacing drain plug sleeve  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.46 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com