BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 234 ]  [ Newest Member: mtskidoo ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Boat not loaded properly on new trailer
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: lGjjgFOTmrfHbIplc Topic Next Topic: Launching from TravelLift vs trailer  

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 08 2020 :  18:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my 27' boat loaded on a new trailer that I bought at another location. The marina where the boat was located loaded the boat with a TravelLift.

I am pretty sure the boat is loaded about 1 foot aft of where it should be. So the trailer tongue weight will be too low (very bad).

Can I just move the winch stand forward and use the winch to pull the 7400 lb boat forward on the bunks. Seems like a lot of stress on the bow eye.

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 08 2020 :  18:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not if it is just bunks instead of rollers. A partial launch will reduce weight while you move the post and pull it forward. The yard tha loaded it would probably lift it for you while you make adjustments.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Nov 08 2020 18:33:32

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 09 2020 :  05:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try attaching it to the tow first and get a feel for the tongue weight. I have always felt the transom should be supported by either the rollers or the bunk. If it is not you have work to get done.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Nov 09 2020 :  10:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule of thumb is 10% of total weight on the hitch ball.

If no ramp available, heat to a moderate hill, head down and slam on the brakes--the boat will hopefully slide that 1 foot needed.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Nov 09 2020 :  10:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also block the boat, to get some weight off the trailer, and then move the trailer back - instead of moving the boat forward. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it - but essentially lower the tongue all the way to the ground, and put some blocks under the transom. Raise the tongue, and transom is sitting on the blocks, not the trailer. If you only have to move a foot, itís not that hard, just gets tricky when you have to get the axles and such past the blocks. But you probably wonít have that problem.

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 09 2020 :  10:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a tongue weight scale on order.

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY Go to Top of Page

Bob Ware

RO# 513

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  09:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The method alk described is how I take my trailer from under the Grady White when I've need to work on the trailer. To move it a foot or so would be very easy.

Homeport: League City, Texas Go to Top of Page

Cam

RO# 1558

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  10:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alk

You could also block the boat, to get some weight off the trailer, and then move the trailer back - instead of moving the boat forward. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it - but essentially lower the tongue all the way to the ground, and put some blocks under the transom. Raise the tongue, and transom is sitting on the blocks, not the trailer. If you only have to move a foot, itís not that hard, just gets tricky when you have to get the axles and such past the blocks. But you probably wonít have that problem.

+1

" If you think nobody cares, try missing a few payments " (author unknown)

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Nov 13 2020 :  09:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not just have the Marina fix it?

Padraig

Padraig

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 13 2020 :  21:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a tongue weight scale. I need to measure it and if off get the marina to fix it.

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  12:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I got a tongue weight scale and measured the tongue weight with the trailer level and it was 400 lbs. The GVW is 9000 about. LoadRite says 7% for a aluminum trailer (630) but normal rule of thumb is 10% (900).

I think I need to move the boat forward by 6 inches. But thats only a guess.

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  07:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boat forward, or axles back. . ..

-Gene
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  07:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do what alk said I dont think it will be hard and try your 6" estimate. Without all the correct weights and dimensions we cant calculate the actual move.

Bruce

onthecreek

RO# 11208

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  09:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are your trailering plans?

A couple inches too far back is nothing if you're not going far. Fix it next time?

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  09:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boat is not a 27' long bar of steel that you can calculate exactly how far to move it forward or backward.

When I first used the tongue weight scale I had the boat somewhat level and it was 500 lbs. But I found a shorter block of wood to put the scale on and get it as level as the eye can do and it was 400 lbs. I was surprised it changed by 100 lbs with just a minor correction to getting the boat level.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  11:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the angle does make a difference so you want the weight at the actual loaded hitch level.

Bruce

Phillbo

RO# 2553

Posted - Dec 06 2020 :  12:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a tandem axle trailer you want it to sit as level as possible to avoid putting too much weight on one of the axles. You want it to be even.

Homeport: Arizona Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Dec 10 2020 :  21:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well boat on trailer was hauled from RI to DE by a hauling company without incident. Tongue weight was around 400 lbs. and should be 630 lbs. I was told no swaying but would have been better with more tongue weight.

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  07:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it worked out!

-Gene
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: lGjjgFOTmrfHbIplc Topic Next Topic: Launching from TravelLift vs trailer  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.5 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com