BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 161 ]  [ Newest Member: Steve717 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Winterizing & Springizing
 Winterizing boat A/C
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Engine Freeze?  

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 13 2020 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I winterize a boats A/C with air vs antifreeze? I have a Ryobi cordless combo tire inflator and air inflator for air beds or similar things to be inflated.

I was thinking to use the air from the air inflator to blow out the seawater. It's high volume low pressure. It needs to blow air past the A/C water pump that won't be running.

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Nov 13 2020 :  23:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a problem winterizing by just eliminating water. Everything is still wet and put air in there and you promote a lot of rust. Replacing that water with rust inhibited antifreeze is the only way to go.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  07:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was up in Kingston NY at RYB. I used air exclusively for the whole boat. Two ACs, icemaker, water system. The only AF I used was in the engines, the toilets and sink drains. However, I used a compressor set to about 40 PSI so I had plenty of air coming from the small tank. I applied short bursts, then allowed the compressor to catch up to the tank (the compressor stopped at almost 200psi I think).

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  09:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cwms

I have a problem winterizing by just eliminating water. Everything is still wet and put air in there and you promote a lot of rust. Replacing that water with rust inhibited antifreeze is the only way to go.

Is it necessary to run the A/C to fill it with antifreeze? If I hold a container of antifreeze up high connected to the A/C intake will that cause the system to fill with antifreeze by gravity?

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  09:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only use compressed air on my A/C and water systems. No need to add pink.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  09:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More specifically I pull the hoses from the AC pump output and pop the inlet cap off to make sure it is dry.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  10:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont your systems drain down when off except for the pump? That would also drain when on land.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Planeguy

RO# 1963

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  14:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built a pump system so I can run barnacle buster thru my system when it is on the hard and then pump antifreeze thru it.

My tolerance for Islam ended on 9-11-01!

Homeport: Huron, Ohio Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  14:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddurand

quote:
Originally posted by cwms

Is it necessary to run the A/C to fill it with antifreeze? If I hold a container of antifreeze up high connected to the A/C intake will that cause the system to fill with antifreeze by gravity?

My gut answer is no. You need to run the AC.
My current boat, I just close my seacock, open the strainer and start pouring AF when my wife turns on the AC Sytem. A couple gallons and I'm done. Takes me 2-3 minutes. Same procedure for my main engines and genset. Easy Peasy.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Engine Freeze?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com