BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 210 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: Steve717 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Wifi on Boat
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boat not loaded properly on new trailer Topic Next Topic: ALL BOATERED MEMBERS PLEASE CHECK IN HERE  

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  14:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any recommendations for WIFI on a boat? Verizon is best signal for phone on lake and I could use it as a hot spot, but I have no ideas about what other alternatives there are.
speedo
Redding, CA

Homeport:

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  15:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it simple...just use what you already have...your phone

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  15:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Musks new satellite system is beta testing in higher latitudes. Not cheap but portable so you could use it at home as well.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Nov 21 2020 16:58:33

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  07:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Hotspot that works pretty good when I'm out on the water and a wireless router when I'm in a marina.

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  08:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have androids (Glaxy S10 and S10+). Both can be used as hotspots but even with the unlimiited verizon plan the tethering is limited to 15G/month on each phone. Since we can exceed the limit on long trips we have started using DEX. It projects the G10s' display on a laptop. While a bit klunky in that it requires zooming the display, it saves an awful lot of tether time since I can stream motogp and project the phone to the laptop, and then wifi share that to the TV LOL. One can copy the APPs on the phone to the DEX "desktop". It's not bad and getting better.

Otherwise on the boat I cobbled together a Ubiquity Bullet to a Netgear. The Bullet used an 8Db omni and picked up marina wifi or other hotspots and shipped them via ethernet to the netgear which was a hotspot.

In the Exumas and Abacos I used a Wilson cell phone booster to hook up to the Bahamian cell service. I plan on something similar for the RV since we wind up with borderline connections in many state parks.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  11:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rogue Wave antenna

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  13:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ve given up on using wifi even with booster like the Waves. It s just too unreliable and hit or miss. Even when you can connect to a marina or hotspot, speeds are almost always too slow

I have a cradlepoint cell modem with an ATT sim here in the US, $75 a month . Works great. In the Bahamas awe also use cellular thru a local company.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  14:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very happy with my Rogue wave this said I'm on my third in 10 years. Keep in mind this is only helpful if you have access to hotstops such as optimum wifi assuming you have an account. I use mine all the time however where I need it must it doesn't work there are no Hotspots near my mooring ball so I use my Rogue to log into my phone and then everyone has access.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Stamford, CT Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  18:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roque wave worked good when it worked.
I went with a generic which didn't have the fancy interface and was a third of the price.
It worked good too. So if you are okay with a less fancy front end, try the bullet M.

But in the end a cell phone made into a hotspot tends to be the best sometimes.

2020 Cobia 280DC

Homeport: Vero Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  18:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all for the suggestions. May end up going the cell phone route, and I may just abandont the laptop on the boat. I can do everything I actually NEED to do on the phone, anyway. We don't stream videos or play games, so not huge draws. That said, when we evacuated for the Carr Fire two years ago, my phone became the hotspot for the cabin we evacuated to (on the same lake). First time I almost exceeded my plan. Called Verizon and explained or situation, the doubled my plan for no additional charge.

speedo
Redding, CA

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  19:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so that someone mentions it, one of the best parts of hopping in the boat and overighting at an offshore island was checking the cellphone and seeing the message,"No service available". Which meant that not only did my cellphone work, but no one else's did either.

Being unplugged from time to time is refreshing.

To each his own. There are times when it might be appropriate. But for me, a primary reason for "getting out on the boat" was/is to "get away from it all" for a while...

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  07:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedo

Thanks, all for the suggestions. May end up going the cell phone route, and I may just abandont the laptop on the boat. I can do everything I actually NEED to do on the phone, anyway. We don't stream videos or play games, so not huge draws. That said, when we evacuated for the Carr Fire two years ago, my phone became the hotspot for the cabin we evacuated to (on the same lake). First time I almost exceeded my plan. Called Verizon and explained or situation, the doubled my plan for no additional charge.

An alternative to the phone for a laptop replacement is an iPad with a cellular plan.
That’s what I use.
You get a much larger screen than on a phone and it seems to have a better antenna. My iPad can often get a stronger cell signal than my iPhone.
Added bonuses are being able to use it as an E reader with the Kindle App, downloading a daily newspaper, storing digital version of manuals for practically everything on the boat in iBooks, using it to stream Sirius XM to the stereo on the boat while keeping my phone free for calls and texting, using it as a hotspot to stream Netflix and Prime Video to the TV’’s, etc..

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Nov 23 2020 07:50:00

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  07:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another vote for the Rogue Wave, with external antenna. We use it as input to a Netgear wireless router onboard, so we have wifi for all. Using Optimum hotspots, we've pretty good coverage.

-Gene
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Boat not loaded properly on new trailer Topic Next Topic: ALL BOATERED MEMBERS PLEASE CHECK IN HERE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com