boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: mark h bischoff ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Need advice on Mercruiser 888 trim problem
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A few spec. questions Topic Next Topic: 4 BL. Flame Arrestor  

ChesapeakeJohn

RO# 21179

Posted - May 09 2006 :  19:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help a Mercruiser novice solve a trim problem:

Equipment: 1977 Sea Ray Cuddy with Mercruiser 888 (Ford 302) with Alpha outdrive; 3-button trim system with Arco trim pump motor;

Problem: Trim works perfectly going up, does not work at all going down (and I've tested this in the water and on a trailer, with the engine running and without). Trim motor itself appears to be working OK (judging by the correct sounds it makes) in both directions. After trying to operate the trim downward, I noticed some fluid leaking from the base of the port-side cylinder.

What I've done so far: cleaned all electrical connections, made sure that pump is full of hydraulic fluid, with the trim in the full "up" position;

Possibilities: Can the leaking cylinder be repaired, as opposed to replaced? If so, how involved is that repair job, and would I need any special tools or abilities? Is there a way to test the system with only the one non-leaking cylinder?

I've tried to provide as much detail as I can, but please post questions if it will help someone out there give me some advice on what to try next.

Many Thanks!

CJ-

Homeport:
  Previous Topic: A few spec. questions Topic Next Topic: 4 BL. Flame Arrestor  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.59 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com