boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Bqsatmdv ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Volvo Penta 5.8FSi SX 1996 Four Winns
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: props Q Topic Next Topic: Question/Help with leaking trim cylinders...  

jpbjr1955

RO# 22151

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  21:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a little field information in an attempt to solve a problem on my Volvo Penta 5.8 FSi in my 1996 Four Winns 240 Horizon. Three or four days ago noticed an ocasional "fluttering" of the voltage meter on my instruments. When this occured there would also be a similar "swing" in the oil pressure gauge. No big deal I thought. I snuged up all of the ground connections at the instruments and every thing seemed to clear up. Everything ran perfectly for several days. This morning I attempted to start the boat and it would crank great but would not fire. I shot a little starting fluid down the throttle bore and it hit right off and died after the fluid was consumed. Obviously a lack of fuel. Upon further examination I found that the HP fuel pump for the fuel runners would run but the LP tank pump would not. There is 12VDC to the pump relay and the relay seems to check out fine. This makes sense as this system has only 1 relay on the positive side to control both pumps(at least that I can find). If I DIRECTLY ground the LP pump it will then run and the engine will then start and run. The 2-3 second start up sequence apears to be functioning correctly, on the positive side, the problem seems to be in the negative side of the circuit for the LP tank pump. I borrowed a set of manuals from a friend who has a Volvo with a GM engine to see if that would help me but their ground circuits all seem to go directly to the block with no additional control circuitry. I have located what appear to be both an oil pressure gauge sending unit and an oil pressure switch on the side of the engine. I know that some systems have a switch that reads oil pressure to control fuel pump operation. Unfortunately the color code on the line to the switch are different than the code on the negative side of the LP fuel pump. I will be ordering a set of manuals tomorrow to get a schematic of the circuits Volvo used on this Ford engine but I wondered if anyone had any info that might be of a help in the meantime. I sure wish I could QUICKLY get the needed schematics somewhere online even if I needed to pay to get them(any thoughts on this?). Could these 2 sets of problems be related?? Any Information would be GREATLY appreciated! John

Homeport: Chautauqua, IL
  Previous Topic: props Q Topic Next Topic: Question/Help with leaking trim cylinders...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.62 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com