BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 158 ]  [ Total: 166 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chaparral Owners
 290 signature question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: No topics Topic Next Topic: 310 Top Speed  

TomKat

RO# 25229

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  09:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,I'm new to this forum,but not to boating. I am currently in the market for a used 290 signature. My current boat, a 260SS formula is sold. I am in a good position that way. It is just a question of finding the right 290. Now for my question. Has anyone removed the ice chest mounting under the cockpit sink? If so is there room under there for a cabinet if I would cut a hole and put a door there. This is a huge deal for my wife who's only objection to a 290 is the lack of a place for topside garbage. Also if anyone has any other suggestions on what you do with the "stuff" let me know that as well. Thanks in advance..Tom

Homeport: Menasha, Wisconsin

jbacchi

RO# 18970

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  10:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife and I had the same issue with the lack of trash receptacle when we looked at the 290. This was a deal breaker for us so we wound up going with the 310. Looks like you could simply remove the ice chest liner and add some doors. You may need to fill in the screw holes or add some trim around the large hole but it looks doable. Good luck with your quest

Homeport: Lake Conroe,Texas Go to Top of Page

jbacchi

RO# 18970

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  10:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought is to cut a hole topside next to the sink. You could add a lid similar to what I have on my 310 and mount some type of long bin underneath to hold the trash.

Homeport: Lake Conroe,Texas Go to Top of Page

TomKat

RO# 25229

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  14:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya we definitely liked the way the 310 is set up. I would buy one in a minute except that we want to trailer it occasionally and the 310 is so tall that bridges can become an issue. I wish the fold down arch was available on 2004-05 models.

Homeport: Menasha, Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

John151

RO# 83

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  00:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have pondered the same project many times. It amazes me how 24' bow riders have a built in garbage can, and I do not.

At times we use the cooler as a trash can, other times, we tie up a large plastic garbage bag to the grab rail. So long as you throw a few empty bottles in the bag, it does not blow around too much.

"You know, we'll have a good time then"

Homeport: Pistakee Lake (Northen Illinois) Go to Top of Page

sonicmix

RO# 23193

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  20:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John151, I do the same, either use the cooler or tie bags up to the grab rails. Not too fond of having much garbage up top so it doesn't bother me as much.

Homeport: California Delta Go to Top of Page

JLAbrams

RO# 24369

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  01:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the bilge space under the entry steps into the cabin to stash a trash can. This seems to work out prety good...just open up the stair, put in a trash can with a liner, and remove the liner when we leave the boat.

Homeport: San Pedro CA Go to Top of Page

TomKat

RO# 25229

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  18:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, we'll definitely use the under the stair solution for galley trash. For the cockpit I'm thinking of cutting out the ice chest mounting and replacing it with a door. There is a local marine surplus supply place that has some of these doors in various sizes. If I can find one that is just slightly larger than the existing opening I could end up with a decent looking cabinet door and full access to the underside of the sink. First I got to catch up to the right boat. I will stay in touch... Tom

Homeport: Menasha, Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

cpro

RO# 12387

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  13:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use a small white trash can secured to the starboard wall by the rear facing seat.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

TheGreatEscapeII

RO# 28606

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  20:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomkat,
Check out the supplier I believe its called SSI custom plastics. They make the insert for Chaparral and might have a replacement product that will make it a cabinet. I have order from them before to replace a broken cooler holder for my Sig240

http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/

Captain Joey
TowBoatUS Captain - Lake Lanier
50 Ton Master, OUPV 100 Ton
Towing Endorsement
2005 Chaparral Signature 240

Homeport: Cumming, GA Go to Top of Page

whalerguy

RO# 30814

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  17:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2004 290, twin Volvos, brand new custom canvas, Fisher winter cover, with a generator and newer GPS that I was thinking about selling. Great boat, economical to run, in super condition. Let me know if you are interested!

Homeport: Georgetown, MD Go to Top of Page

ALKA2710

RO# 25407

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  19:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whalerguy
this was posted almost 2 years ago

Homeport: FREEPORT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: No topics Topic Next Topic: 310 Top Speed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load