BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: CptnCrunch44 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Bravo III maintenance question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hynautic Steering Fluid Change - Best way? Topic Next Topic: Spark Plug gap?  

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  14:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything else to do besides gear oil,alignment and spline grease? Do you ever have to separate the upper and lower for maintenance?

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y.

GSENT

RO# 12438

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  14:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no,you do not need to seaprate the case. impellers are engine driven, and should be changed yearly, depending on the hours. anodes are the only other maintenance on the drives. i believe you have it covered.

GARY STALEY

Homeport: PGH, PA Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  14:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the U joints.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  15:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie,
The u-joints are sealed on the newer drives, I'm not crazy about it either. I'd rather give it a shot of new grease every year. I asked the question because I thought even though the drive doesn't need any kind of annual work in there, it might be a good idea just to seperate it so nothing seizes together.
My last boat had a Bravo III and I never seperated the upper from the lower but maybe I should've just to check the seals and whatever else might need to be inspected.
Rob

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

Msibley

RO# 16534

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  16:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Gary said. Also, don't forget to use a new gasket installation set...actually, they're O-rings, but don't reuse the old ones. Torque the six mounting nuts to 50 ft/lbs and tighten in a criss-cross fashion.

Mike
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over."
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are."
- Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, Commanding, Union Armies-Military Division of the Mississippi

Homeport: Melbourne, FL Go to Top of Page

Riverratt

RO# 12842

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  18:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My truck has 140K on it with sealed u-joints. They were recently inspected (last week)and found to be fine. I see nothing wrong with grease fittings either. I guess only time will tell.

Homeport: St Charles, Missouri Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Hynautic Steering Fluid Change - Best way? Topic Next Topic: Spark Plug gap?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.4 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com