BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Deck Snorkel
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Season abruptly cut short Topic Next Topic: Poseidon drysuits  

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of purchasing a deck snorkel.

http://www.surfacedive.com/Products/Models/DeckSnorkel.htm

It should pay for it self in a few years by not having to haul the boat $$$$ as often. I would use it just for going under the boat to change zincs, prop cleaning,etc. I might even start a small business changing other zincs on boats up in the Blaine area. Semiahmoo has lost it's marine yard.

I'm a good swimmer and have free dived under my boat to clear a line badly wraped around one of my props and shafts. Took about thirty times under to finally clear it. 51 degree water didn't help. Think I'll get a wetsuit.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this please let me know.

Dave

Faster now but still steady

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA

padfor

RO# 10176

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  11:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For about $200 more you can buy new budget scuba equipment, get certified and open the door to a lot more fun under water. There other surface air providers that are a little more expensive but run off gasoline engines (Brownie's Third Lung); they will allow you more freedom. I just put on my scuba gear and clean my boat. With scuba gear I also can more easily search for things that fall overboard or off the dock.

Homeport: Texas Go to Top of Page

abdiver

RO# 21800

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  15:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I highly recommend taking a class in SCUBA before using any form of supplied air underwater. There are significant dangers associated with breathing compressed air, even at only a few feet down.

Rod

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Skeetobite

RO# 23118

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  17:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abdiver

I highly recommend taking a class in SCUBA before using any form of supplied air underwater. There are significant dangers associated with breathing compressed air, even at only a few feet down.

Rod

I agree. You don't need to be certified to snorkel under your boat, but compressed air adds a whole new, and dangerous equation.

America... A hole in the map I throw money into.

Homeport: Palmetto, FL Go to Top of Page

millsan1

RO# 25166

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  18:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeha, go with a scuba setup before this thing. You can get into scuba for less htan $1K including equipment and training. I plan on doing a lot of work under the boat using my scuba gear.

2006 Meridian 391
8.1 SHO

Homeport: Bear, DE Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - May 18 2007 :  22:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a small oil less air compressor. Have an air hose made up with a 2nd stage on the end.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - May 19 2007 :  22:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too expensive for what it is. Look at Brownies instead for surface supplied. For boat work, I don't use surface supplied, I take a very streamlined scuba rig. Weight belt, and just a backplate with shoulder and waste straps. I then clip a 30 or 40 cf bottle, stage rigged, under my left arm. It stays more out of the way. I also don't use a BC, since I'm no more than 5 foot under the water. It's very minimal, about as close to skindiving as I can make it.

But then, the only time I hit the water on my own boat is in emergencies. Let me tell you that after over 25 years of diving and all the trimmings I've been known to hire someone to scrape barnacles instead of doing it myself. In our cold water, hard work just makes you too hot, but with 48 degree water you start off too cold. Work dives suck. Prop removal is the worst. Very hard work to properly torque the nuts and often is not done with decent enough quality. Much easier to pay $50 for an evening hang and do it out of the water.

YMMV

bp

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - May 22 2007 :  10:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brett, We no longer have a haulout with the closure of Blaine marine services in Semiahmoo. I have to go to Bellingham.

I really don't want to put on all that equipment just to change zincs. I'll look into seeing if there is a local diver who does this. If not, buy the Deck Snorkel or Brownies. I'll also take a diving class. Maybe even start a small business with it. Other people here in my marina must be in the same "boat" as me.

Thanks for all the great replies guys :-)

Dave

Faster now but still steady

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - May 22 2007 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wingspar

I really don't want to put on all that equipment just to change zincs.

I understand your concern, but your missing the point I was trying to make. You will be "more" streamlined with a small self contained rig than with the tether.

For the hookah, you need (regulator, harness, weightbelt, tether)

For lightweight Scuba you would need(regulator, harness, weightbelt, small tank).

Again, I think this looks expensive for what it is. If you really want tethered, get a brownies and get something decent. As I've tried to tell many people over the years. Try breathing water, then afterwards, decide the level of equipment you want to buy.

I have a hunch you can find something better from a full time company like Brownies if you are set on the hookah idea.

Either way, take a class.

bp

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

fstbttms

RO# 20836

Posted - May 24 2007 :  21:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll look into seeing if there is a local diver who does this.

Try Sound Divers, who are based in Bellingham

http://www.sounddivers.com/

quote:
Maybe even start a small business with it. Other people here in my marina must be in the same "boat" as me.

Do some research before going into business. If I'm not mistaken, Washington requires state certification to operate a hull cleaning service.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

seastheday

RO# 30820

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  01:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Top-to Bottom" in Bellingham also does this type of work. I think maybe they and "Sound" may be the same people.

I don't know about Semiahmoo, but I know you have to be "licensed" by the Port of Bellingham to work at Squalicum or Blaine marinas.

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Season abruptly cut short Topic Next Topic: Poseidon drysuits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com