BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 188 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Crusaders fuel filter
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Best Way to Clean Holding Tank Probes?  - Resolved Topic Next Topic: any carb experts?  

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - May 01 2007 :  11:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a new to me 2001 Silverton 330 SB with 5.7L "Captain's Choice" engines, FWC, inboards. I don't recognize the fuel filter and/or fuel water seperator. On the front of the engine is a large cylinder which appears to be a filter housing.

Could that be it? If so, is it a water seperator? Is it hard to change?

Thanks - Chris.
Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River

Brian G.

RO# 11467

Posted - May 01 2007 :  11:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2001 Crusader 5.7L MPI engine that has the fuel filter (Racor 110 equivalent I think) at the aft (next to the flywheel) of the engine on the port side of the boat. I believe it is also a water separator. It is rather small and the replacement element is about $17. I was told by Crusader not to add another fuel filter as it may affect fuel pressure. It is not very easy to change because of its location.

Homeport: Piermont, NY Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - May 01 2007 :  16:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian - I believe the Crusader site now recommends a primary 10 micron/90GPH filter/separator in addition to the engine mounted one. I have the large Racor 660's w/ S3232UL(?)replacement elements as primaries with no flow problems & much greater filtering/separating capacity for comfort factor. My 2003 CRU 5/7MPI also have the engine-mounted mounted Racor 110 ( small & somewhat ribbed case) next to or part of the low pressure fuel pump but mine have the "new returnless system".That same small filter/separator was also used on a lot of the "Old returnless systems".
Walshie , if your 2001 is similar to later years and has the return system , that large cylinder at the front of the engine is likely the "Fuel Control Assembly" . The parts manual I have shows (return-type system)the on-engine filter as a sort of fat pancake affair on edge , & connected by a length of hose to the Low Pressure Fuel Pump between the filter and Fuel Control Ass'ly. Crusaderengines.com has (had?0) 5.7L MPI online parts diagrams that might still look similar to your setup.

Sandy

Edited by - Sandy on Sep 12 2019 21:16:18

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - May 01 2007 :  16:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
W. do you mean cylinder or, possibly disc? My S-ton/ Crusaders each had three fiters. From the fuel tank to the engine in this order--disc w/ fuel line entering in the middle---Racor filter/separator-- "juice can" near throttle body.

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - May 01 2007 :  18:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a similar pic of my engine....what is the cylinder on the left? I recall hearing something about the "hockey puck" filter but have not looked for it. I do not have the standard fuel/water seperator that spins off and is the size of an oil filter.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 01 2007 :  19:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,
My 8.1 motors have the hockey puck (primary filter) and the secondary one (the cylinder) also. The secondary one is a bitch to remove the canister, in the canister is a filter and your fuel pump. See my post on the 2004-2007 34c forum on the SOC, "Fuel Cell".

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - May 02 2007 :  00:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walshie- Sorry... That does appear to be the "return-type" Fuel Control Cell , but looking more closely to the parts diagram mentioned above, the FCC does contain both HP fuel pump and Crusader part # RP080026 (pleated element) fuel filter as Walter points out. http://www.crusaderengines.com/manuals/L510012.pdf Take care as there is an o-ring sealing top and bottom sections that appear to unscrew from each other.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

SCOOTER

RO# 6832

Posted - May 02 2007 :  06:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what the replacement element looks like, comes with o-ring(s).

I don't think that BoatFix carries these, but check with George to be sure.

Keep Motorin'
SCOOTER

Homeport: Piscataqua River , N.H./Lanoka Harbor, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Brian G.

RO# 11467

Posted - May 02 2007 :  12:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the installer took the racor 110 filter off. All 2001 5.7L MPI's had them whether you have the return or returnless fuel system. The picture you posted looks like the 2002 and newer engines. Some changes were made between 2001 and 2002 like a different spark arrester and the fuel control cylinder instead of a U-cooler.

Homeport: Piermont, NY Go to Top of Page

BobCT

RO# 31742

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  07:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously an old post! I just picked up a pair of used Crusader 8.1ís and will be doing an engine swap with my carbíd 454ís.

I have the "Old returnless system", I do not have the FCC. Can somone confirm that this means I only have a single fuel pump inside the Fuel cooler assembly and only two filters (hockey puck screen and small Racor/front of the engine)?

My plan is to eliminate the "puck" and Racor and use my existing pre-screen and bigger Racors unless someone thinks that's a bad idea. Are the "old returnless" setups just as reliable?

Edit: I just spoke w/Racor and they said definitely remove the puck and my call on whether to leave the engine Racor in place. I think I'll go ahead and eliminate both and use what I have been running for the past ten years and zero fuel problems. Tank---->30 micron pre screen---->10 micron Racor-----engine.

thanks
Bob

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Best Way to Clean Holding Tank Probes?  - Resolved Topic Next Topic: any carb experts?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com