boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 10 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnPadgett ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 No water from tell-tale
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 25 1988 mercury Topic Next Topic: HELP !!!!!!WHATS THE DIFFERENCE  

gsmith3286

RO# 26063

Posted - May 02 2007 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, I have XR6 Merc 150. Last winter, I had it winterized and a new water impeller installed. When I fired it up for the first time this year (with Muffs)...no water from tell-tale. Someone suggested I take it to the lake and try it...do you think that could make a difference???

Homeport:

Msibley

RO# 16534

Posted - May 02 2007 :  13:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. You should have water from the tell-tale on the muffs as well.

Didn't you already ask this question a few days back...or am I seeing double?

Mike
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over."
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are."
- Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, Commanding, Union Armies-Military Division of the Mississippi

Homeport: Melbourne, FL Go to Top of Page

gsmith3286

RO# 26063

Posted - May 02 2007 :  13:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did ask here, but a guy on a different forum said to try it in the water. Was he thinking my muffs were too small or something causing air to get sucked up with the water?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

gsmith3286

RO# 26063

Posted - May 02 2007 :  13:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also have what looks like a little motor oil dripping on the floor from above the lower and the fin...could i have blown a seal somewhere?

rblochli

RO# 644

Posted - May 02 2007 :  14:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that oil is probably lower unit lube, did they change it when the winterized? Their is usually a screw toward the forward port side that is the level and or vent for filling - they should have a gasket on them. With a new impeller you should get water out the pisser when on muffs. Try sticking a small wire in the pisser and see if anything is stuck in their. Bugs have been known to crawl in there over the winter.

Bob
PartyTime

Homeport: Forked River, NJ Go to Top of Page

abdiver

RO# 21800

Posted - May 02 2007 :  18:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would not likely get any different result from operating on the lake.

Do you get water out the exhaust when you run it on the muffs?

It is not unusual for something to clog the telltale outlet. You might want to try poking a small nail or awl up the tell tale hole and see if that clears up the problem.

As for the oil dripping: is it black, or does it look like fresh oil?

If it looks like fresh oil then your lower unit is leaking. If it is black, then it might just be two stroke residue (this is a two stroke motor, isn't it?)

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

gsmith3286

RO# 26063

Posted - May 03 2007 :  07:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate your input...it's a 2 stroke. I probed the tell-tale line and T fitting with a soft wire and they're clear, but still no water from tell-tale. I had a couple people tell me the muffs may be too weak...any thoughts on that?

Water comes out of the Prop on the muffs; it's kinda grayish. It was pretty dark at first.

They did change the L.U. lube at winterization...at least they say they did. The oil that is dripping is fresh and (I think) it only leaks when I trim all the way down. This never happened before I had it winterized. When they put the L.U. back on last fall, what did they not do that could have caused this?

kentjd

RO# 21972

Posted - May 03 2007 :  21:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with the muffs and water on start the motor and take an air compressor and shoot short bursts at the pisser dont put it right up against it or you may blow the hose off. but this may dislodge any scale that might be clogging it if this doesnt do it i would return it to your mechanic. he may have folded the rubber gromet on the pickup tube while reinstalling the lower unit. its an ez mistake that happens all too often. he should have tested it after installation but may not have. also i have seen the impeller stick to the housing over the winter and rip off the blades while starting in the spring

rblochli

RO# 644

Posted - May 03 2007 :  22:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kentjd may have it, the pickup tube probably wasn't lined up properly when they slid the lower unit back on. Not sure where the oil could be coming from.

Bob
PartyTime

Homeport: Forked River, NJ Go to Top of Page

gsmith3286

RO# 26063

Posted - May 07 2007 :  09:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I just dropped it off and here's what the Merc mechanic said:

Regarding no water from Tell-Tale: He said that my motor (XR6 150) has a thermostat and that water won't come out the tell-tale until the engine reaches a certain temperature. He hooked it up to the muffs and there was no water immediately...he let it run about 2 minutes...finally, there was a little stream...then he hit the throttle and a jet of water came out...when he laid off the throttle...a trickle....he said that was normal with these engines. He hit the throttle again...another jet of water. Oh well.

Regarding the fresh oil leaking....he said it was a broken shift seal. He said the most common cause of a broken shift seal is overfilling of lower unit lube. I asked him "how do you overfill it????" He said that you're not supposed to immediately put the top screw back in....you're supposed to wait until the oil settles out. Anyway...that little error will cost be about $250. If these damn things are that sensitive, I think I need to go back to my 12-foot jonboat and trolling motor.

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - May 07 2007 :  10:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS for the update! Many just move on once they get their info and don't tell us what it was. Then it's harder to help the next guy.
Did you do the work on the winterizing and impeller stated in the OP?
Mech's remark about letting the gear lube settle is plausible, but I'd always thought we let it settle to be sure any air bubbles were out so we could add a little more lube and have it full.
The only OB manual I have is for a 1972 JohnRude and doesn't show a telltale, so I cannot confirm the telltale being supplied only then TStat is open. I will say that doesn't sound right.
Glad you didn't take a risk on the lake, and the gear lube leak has to be fixed anyhow. OH, the manual I have says the gearcase should hold 16-18 PSI air and not leak.
Keep us posted.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/350CID/EFI/220HP
14-1/2*19 Stainless RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

gsmith3286

RO# 26063

Posted - May 07 2007 :  11:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem JD...I'll do my best to provide as much detail as possible for other people. I started my winterization project last year and I got as far as replacing the gear lube myself...during winterization I noticed that no water was coming out the tell tale. So, I probed the lines for blockage and still could not get water to come out, so I got nervous and took it to Tracker Marine...they said it was the impeller. So, they finished the winterization and did the impeller job. After the job, they gave me my old impeller (at least they said it was mine) and there was a small nic in it (very small). The Merc mechanic said that sometimes, even a very small nic can cause loss of water pressure...I don't think Tracker Marine actually tested it and they never mentioned this delay in water coming out the tell-tale....I think they just replaced it...but...I'm not a very trusting person.

I'm very disappointed with the Merc owner's manual that came with the boat...there are no warnings about overfilling the gear lube. There is no explanatory language about the delay in the tell-tale...overall, it's just a very poorly descriptive owner's manual. I guess most of their resources are spent on marketing rather than customer service...I guess that's par for the course these days.

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - May 07 2007 :  12:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there's one predominant power plant on this Forum it's MerCrusier I/Os. Still the opinions you've heard so far say the telltale should show right away. You must've thought so or you wouldn't've gone a-probing. Why don't you post a thread asking the question? See what the our owners of various OB types have to say.

It really doesn't sound like you've got a good shop. If your old impeller was flexible and still had every blade nearly complete, I don't think it was the source of your problem.

Stay tuned, some of our O/B and Mercury fans haven't weighed in yet.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/350CID/EFI/220HP
14-1/2*19 Stainless RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

kentjd

RO# 21972

Posted - May 07 2007 :  23:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the pee'r is there for the sole purpose of telling that your water pump is working. in the old days you had to reach around back and feel if water was coming out the rear water outlet.but with thru hub exhaust this was no longer possible thus the pee'r was installed. the water comes directly from the engine block and the restrictor on the end must also be in place or too much water can escape from the cooling system.your thermostadt restricts the water leaving the cooling system thus keeping the block full of water.if no water is coming out the pee'r you have air in your block which can cause hot spots and thus scorink of the pistons and or cylinder walls.try to back the boat in the water and start the engine on the trailer.some motors are a little finicky on the muffs but with a properly functioning water pump your pee'r should pee within seconds of starting and have a steady forceful stream.My guess is that after they pull the lower unit to fix the gear leak your water pump will misteriously repair itself when the mechanic sees his mistake. if so, time for a new repair shop...good luck

Previous Topic: 25 1988 mercury Topic Next Topic: HELP !!!!!!WHATS THE DIFFERENCE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.81 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com