BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 188 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 opinions on walmarts everstart maxx 29 battery
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: When Its A Busy Weekend Topic Next Topic: An evil thought (58 project boat)  

booboo

RO# 16369

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  23:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just picked up 2 new everstart batts maxx-29 from walmart. Can anyone speak on their suitability as a hybrid battery? (deepcycle/starting). From what I have read on various rv forums, they seem to be an excellent value for the money. BTW, I am replacing my 29 interstate batts on my 39 silverton.

Homeport: Catskill, NY

Kevin Elke

RO# 21365

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  00:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You absolutely could not pay me enough to entrust the starting duties on my boat to ANY product sold by Walmart. But that's just me.

Best of luck and stay in sight of the dock.

Kev

Homeport: Yellowknife NWT Go to Top of Page

mdoherty

RO# 12220

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  01:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names.

Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

No matter what the brand name is they are all alike so just get the cheapest battery for the amp rating. I have 6 everstart and one kirkland in my toys and have never seen a problem.

Mike

Homeport: Leesburg VA Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  04:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walmart sells the same products that K Mart, Sears, Costco, etc. sell. Whether is a battery, a shirt or a can of tuna fish it's the same stuff. Some products on the shelf at Walmart have the same, nationally known, higher quality brand name and some are private labeled which may be lesser quality but its no different from other retailers. Mdoherty's post is a good example of that. I had 4 Kirkland Grp 27's in our Carver and never had a problem. I suspect that the Everstart's will serve you just as well.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

booboo

RO# 16369

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  05:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, going with everstart!
booboo

Homeport: Catskill, NY Go to Top of Page

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  06:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm w/ MikeeH. I buy from Costco every few years. Rock solid guarantee, high turn over of fresh batteries and the price is right. JS

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page

rbmitchell

RO# 3641

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  06:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put four of them in my Meridian last year. The have to start Cummins 370s and run the thrusters. So far, so good.

The factory supplied Trojan no-maintenance batteries died stone cold dead in less than three years. The cheap ones do just as well.

"The solution to this problem, when found, will be obvious."

Homeport: Beach Haven NJ&KeyWest FL Go to Top of Page

Harlan

RO# 15327

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  07:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They misspelled the name, not Everstart, NEVERSTART!

Take a lesson from your dog. No matter what life brings you kick some grass over that sh*t and move on.

Homeport: Shreveport,LA Go to Top of Page

booboo

RO# 16369

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  07:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears to me that the opinions are just a matter of preference, good or not good, the warranty is excellent and cant beat the return policy so...

Harlan

RO# 15327

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  08:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is not an opinion, nor a matter of preference, it's a matter of experience.

Take a lesson from your dog. No matter what life brings you kick some grass over that sh*t and move on.

Homeport: Shreveport,LA Go to Top of Page

Riverratt

RO# 12842

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  08:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using them for about the last 10 years on two different boats without a problem. A battery is either good or bad, not much in between.

Homeport: St Charles, Missouri Go to Top of Page

river rat 1939

RO# 25228

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  08:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i have used them in my last three boats with no problems.
one boat had a 2000 watt inverter never any problems.
hope it helps

be safe have great time out there.
1965 chris craft constellation
1939 chris craft deluxe runabout

Homeport: Princeton Iowa Go to Top of Page

MIke F

RO# 95

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  08:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used them for over 10 years now (change them every 3 years)--never had a problem.

Homeport: Erie Yacht Club Go to Top of Page

vriceflyer

RO# 18518

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  09:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter what the brand of battery, change them every three years. No curb to pull over to, on the water. Another lesson learned the hard way. Hard learned lessons are not forgotten.

2001 340 Searay Sundancer

Homeport: Shreveport, LA Go to Top of Page

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  09:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used them in a car and a truck, no problems.

Padraig

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

SteveG

RO# 2657

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  10:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is some of you with strong opinions against have probably never even used them but just assume they're junk because yuo can buy it at WalMart. (I probably would have agreed before I researched them a bit.)

I had to replace the battery in my wife's GMC Envoy XL and in typical fashion, I started doing my research. I usually go with Sears Diehard Gold. I looked at Consumer Reports and various only forums and found the WalMart Maxx batteries to get very high ratings in cold temp starts and reserve capacity, as well as recharge cycles. For about $40 less than Sears. I took a chance and it's been rock solid. There was some differing ratings on the various lines, but the higher end Maxx was the pick of the litter.

And as was mentioned, do you really think WalMart has a battery factory? They don't make them.

Steve - 1989 Viking 35 Convertible

Edited by - SteveG on Apr 07 2007 10:06:27

Homeport: NH Coast Go to Top of Page

Cam

RO# 1558

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  11:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the site for batteries...check it out...everything you ever wanted to know.

[http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Starting,%20Marine,%20and%20Deep-Cycle%20Batteries]

" If you think nobody cares, try missing a few payments " (author unknown)

Homeport: Bentley Yacht Club- Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  12:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the site Salty!

I had two 27s from Costco which lasted me 7 yrs. When I compared the specs, they matched the Delco specs. I'm sure they change suppliers from time to time, too.

Often at Wal-Mart, I'll find that a supplier [or anything, not just batteries] will "dump" poor product on Wal-Mart. I think this is because Wal-Mart pressures them sooooo much to cut their prices. So if a run at the factory has a problem, rather then scrapping, they ship to Wal-Mart. JMO.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

giolic

RO# 23638

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  21:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

They might be the same as others but I'm , not that it will make a difference, going to stay out of Walmart as much as I can. They are bad for us, Walmart that is.

Salty, thanks for the link I book marked it for future reading.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  22:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always low prices...Always comes at a price for the consumer. I am comfortable with them if you are chanting them every 2-3 years. Other brands, maybe 4-5 years. In that case the long term is a wash.

Here are the facts that I have seen. Walmart forces manufacturers to produce inferior products in order to make a profit while fooling the consumer. I have seen first hand the difference between national brand tires sold at Walmart and tire stores cut into cross sections. Same name, however, a ply there, a band here missing makes a huge difference. Same with the batteries. How many plates and what are the amp hours?

Again. Changing every 2-3 years, not a problem. Longer....?????mmmmm?????

Me, I'm an Optima kind of guy.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

SteveG

RO# 2657

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  22:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think for a boat, I would agree. I'd be more likely to go with a true marine battery with more of a reputation. But for autos, if you buy the higher end one, I think they are fine.

Steve - 1989 Viking 35 Convertible

Homeport: NH Coast Go to Top of Page

booboo

RO# 16369

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  03:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, I should have left the "walmart" out of the question. Thanks for the replies but I knew (somehow) that I would recieve a stern reprimand for being so "bad" as to go to walmart. Give me a break. Spend more if you like. That battery is rated as follows: (sam's has their brand same thing)
210 hour reserve capacity
125 amp hours
875 MCA, 675 cca. I installed them and we will see what happens. I did go with "national brand" interstate "marine srm-29" and 2 years later, I am shopping for batteries. so...hmmm I guess I got bad interstate batteries.

giolic

RO# 23638

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep us posted

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  10:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by booboo

wow, I should have left the "walmart" out of the question. Thanks for the replies but I knew (somehow) that I would recieve a stern reprimand for being so "bad" as to go to walmart. Give me a break. Spend more if you like. That battery is rated as follows: (sam's has their brand same thing)
210 hour reserve capacity
125 amp hours
875 MCA, 675 cca. I installed them and we will see what happens. I did go with "national brand" interstate "marine srm-29" and 2 years later, I am shopping for batteries. so...hmmm I guess I got bad interstate batteries.

Gee and the Interstates were not even manufactured for Walmart. Must be Interstate was trying to make a profit for their Stock holders. How evil can you get! <G>

Padraig

Edited by - Padraig on Apr 08 2007 11:15:46

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

Planeguy

RO# 1963

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  10:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
booboo I use them in my 1986 Silverton and have never had a problem with them. This will be their fifth season in the boat!

My tolerance for Islam ended on 9-11-01!

Homeport: Huron, Ohio Go to Top of Page

skolbe

RO# 4350

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  15:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the Walmart 29 Batteries in my 26' boat. They lasted two years. I had marine - deep cycle 27's after that and got 3 years before I traded/sold the boat. I am use to getting 3 to 4 seasons out of batteries. I don't know if this was just my experience or if that is the typical life of them.

Homeport: St. Louis Go to Top of Page

Michael Koch

RO# 17011

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  10:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just my two cents. Get CCA for engines, Get Amp Hours for house batteries. This is what they do in Motor Homes. That way you have the power for starting, and the long draws for lights and such. Seperate the two banks, that way the starting batteries are always fully charged. Keep the gen set battery seperate too.
Just to let you know I have owned a Skid loader for16 years, use it durning every winter and parts of the summer, never had a trickle charger on the battery for all those years. (same battery as when I purchased the unit). It has just started to fail this winter. When I learn the name I'll pass it on.

Homeport: MN Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: When Its A Busy Weekend Topic Next Topic: An evil thought (58 project boat)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.55 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com