Winterizing boat A/C

ddurand

RO Number
Can I winterize a boats A/C with air vs antifreeze? I have a Ryobi cordless combo tire inflator and air inflator for air beds or similar things to be inflated.

I was thinking to use the air from the air inflator to blow out the seawater. It's high volume low pressure. It needs to blow air past the A/C water pump that won't be running.

I have a problem winterizing by just eliminating water. Everything is still wet and put air in there and you promote a lot of rust. Replacing that water with rust inhibited antifreeze is the only way to go.

I was up in Kingston NY at RYB. I used air exclusively for the whole boat. Two ACs, icemaker, water system. The only AF I used was in the engines, the toilets and sink drains. However, I used a compressor set to about 40 PSI so I had plenty of air coming from the small tank. I applied short bursts, then allowed the compressor to catch up to the tank (the compressor stopped at almost 200psi I think).

quote:

Originally posted by cwms

I have a problem winterizing by just eliminating water. Everything is still wet and put air in there and you promote a lot of rust. Replacing that water with rust inhibited antifreeze is the only way to go.

Is it necessary to run the A/C to fill it with antifreeze? If I hold a container of antifreeze up high connected to the A/C intake will that cause the system to fill with antifreeze by gravity?

I only use compressed air on my A/C and water systems. No need to add pink.

More specifically I pull the hoses from the AC pump output and pop the inlet cap off to make sure it is dry.

Dont your systems drain down when off except for the pump? That would also drain when on land.

I built a pump system so I can run barnacle buster thru my system when it is on the hard and then pump antifreeze thru it.

quote:

Originally posted by ddurand

quote:

Originally posted by cwms

Is it necessary to run the A/C to fill it with antifreeze? If I hold a container of antifreeze up high connected to the A/C intake will that cause the system to fill with antifreeze by gravity?

My gut answer is no. You need to run the AC.
My current boat, I just close my seacock, open the strainer and start pouring AF when my wife turns on the AC Sytem. A couple gallons and I'm done. Takes me 2-3 minutes. Same procedure for my main engines and genset. Easy Peasy.

Easiest way to winterize AC systems on the hard is to use a portable 12 V bilge pump in a bucket and force antifreeze through the hull side discharge port with the seacock open. When antifreeze runs out the hull bottom thru hull fitting, you're done. Don't need to disconnect any hoses and fills AC unit, all lines, pump and strainer with antifreeze.

I have two AC units on my Silverton 41C. Each fall I connect a hose to each wateroutlet and have a DC bilge pump in a 5 gallon bucket. I first use Barnacle Buster to clean the system by continually pumping the solution in the front outlet and the hose from the rear outlet back into the bucket. I run this solution for about an hour and then run clean fresh water thru the system to rinse it. I then pour my antifreeze into the bucket and run 2 gallons thru the system. I have always done this and never had any issues.

Back