30A Electric Plug

Golf,

My Regal 2465 had the same setup you describe. I loved it. The boat had a built in swim platform and an extended swim platform. The cord entered the boat via a small compartment in the built in platform starboard and stored there while underway.

2177058_2.jpg


Is it the storage or the location of the storage that bugs you? If you disconnect it to secure to the dock, you are going to have to buy a new cord to travel with...$$$. Just a thought.

As far as the shine is concerned.... On a very sunny day so the cord is pliable, I soak a rag in acetone and rub down a 3-4 foot section at a time. The acetone evaporates almost immediately. Rinse each section with water. After you finish the entire cord, follow up with a preserver. I use PB2. It has worked well for me for years. Do NOT soak the cord in acetone. It will destroy it.

HTH
 
quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

quote:

Originally posted by Golfman25

Question before I get knee deep: what is the wiring hook up for the new plug - what goes where?






The new plug will be coded at each of the holes that the wires go into one way or another. It's pretty hard to get it wrong.

When looking at the blades of a 30a plug the L shaped one is the ground (green wire) and the smaller of the two other blades is the neutral (white wire). Which means the last remaining slightly larger blade one is the hot one (black wire).








Capt. Bill -- Thanks, that was the info I was looking for.
 
quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

Golf,

My Regal 2465 had the same setup you describe. I loved it. The boat had a built in swim platform and an extended swim platform. The cord entered the boat via a small compartment in the built in platform starboard and stored there while underway.

2177058_2.jpg


Is it the storage or the location of the storage that bugs you? If you disconnect it to secure to the dock, you are going to have to buy a new cord to travel with...$$$. Just a thought.

As far as the shine is concerned.... On a very sunny day so the cord is pliable, I soak a rag in acetone and rub down a 3-4 foot section at a time. The acetone evaporates almost immediately. Rinse each section with water. After you finish the entire cord, follow up with a preserver. I use PB2. It has worked well for me for years. Do NOT soak the cord in acetone. It will destroy it.

HTH






Boat is an old Chris Craft. So access is a bit more challenging than today's designs. No hatches or compartments. I basically have to push the cord thru a hole in the side of the cockpit under the helm seat. It "coils" up in a small box. I usually end up getting pretty dirty hands. Since I only make short runs (no overnight trips), being able to disconect and go has its benefits.
 
Why don't you put a hatch on that compartment?

Wen you open the plug, make a note of where th wires go, or better take a couple of pictures with your phone. That s hat I always do now when I replace a plug or disassemble / disconnect connections.
 
quote:

Originally posted by PascalG

Why don't you put a hatch on that compartment?

Wen you open the plug, make a note of where th wires go, or better take a couple of pictures with your phone. That s hat I always do now when I replace a plug or disassemble / disconnect connections.






Thanks. I am trying to do less work, not more. :)

The plug cannot be opened because it is molded on to the end of the cord. I'll need to cut it off, shorten the cord and put a new one on.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Golfman25

quote:

Originally posted by KiDa






Boat is an old Chris Craft. So access is a bit more challenging than today's designs. No hatches or compartments. I basically have to push the cord thru a hole in the side of the cockpit under the helm seat. It "coils" up in a small box. I usually end up getting pretty dirty hands. Since I only make short runs (no overnight trips), being able to disconect and go has its benefits.








If you clean the cord in the manner I described and clean the container, problem solved. PB2 makes the cord very slick, almost like lanolin. I cannot speak to other dressings.

Your looking at about $150 to DIY a receptacle & cord end....$200 or so for a new cord and receptacle.
 
If I were adding the power inlet (which is what I would do) I would also add a dual pole AC breaker next to it. Then I would purchase a new cord and there would be no need to modify it (cut it).
Bill
 
quote:

Originally posted by Billylll

If I were adding the power inlet (which is what I would do) I would also add a dual pole AC breaker next to it. Then I would purchase a new cord and there would be no need to modify it (cut it).
Bill






Agree whole heartedly Bill. I'm just trying to save Golf some boat fuel bucks!
 
Back
Top