95 mercruiser carb 7.4l mie Fuel issue

lsilver

Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
RO Number
17328
Messages
112
was out fishing today, and one of my engines conked out. tried to restart engine and no joy,
fished for a while and tried again , no joy.

opened hatch and looked at carbs, looked like no fuel getting in, switched to other fuel tank, tried again , still no joy. put some carb cleaner in carb and tried to start
engine fired right up. I am guessing it it fuel pump. Looks like a mechanical pump. how hard is this to replace? also could it be anything else other than this? boat is 2 hours away, so want to ensure i have right parts when I get there
 
Based on what you did, it does sound like the fuel pump went south or at least it's a fuel related issue. Mechanical fuel pumps rarely go bad but it does happen. I replaced mine a couple of years ago. It pumped fuel Ok, but the diaphram was leaking and diluting the oil resivior. While I don't know your exact setup, I assume you have a seperate belt driven fuel pump/sea water pump. If that's the case, you should be able to get a fuel pump at Federated Auto Parts or perhaps Napa. I purchased a Merc fuel pump and needed a gasket. Drove to the local Federated Auto Parts store for that. They were not busy I chatted with the guy while at the counter. He said they could cross reference the part. Low and behold he pulled up the part on the computer. It was identical to the one sold under the Merc brand. Only differences was the lack of black paint and the price. Their price was under $90. Merc's retail price is double that.
 
May or may not be fuel pump, but it's easy to check. Pull line at carb and see if fuel come out when engine turns over...also feel for slight pulsing of air.(fuel not getting to pump)

Float valve may also be stuck...or anything along the fuel delivery line. Can be loose fitting or hose that's sucking air instead of fuel.

If fuel pump seems good, try pulling hose at remote fuel filter and put it in fresh can of gas and see if it runs.
 
Back
Top