California pushes for access

Flutterby

Active member
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
RO Number
14378
Messages
9,320
"California pushes for access to Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta private properties

By Matt Weiser

Published: Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2011 - 11:55 am
Last Modified: Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2011 - 5:17 pm

State officials are moving ahead with plans to condemn private land in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to survey for a controversial water diversion canal or tunnel.

Delta residents have recently been served with a new round of legal notices. In most cases, the state Department of Water Resources seeks easements over private land to conduct surveys and full ownership of 16 square feet of land to drill for soil samples.

The $13 billion water project would siphon a portion of the Sacramento River into a canal or tunnel, bypassing the Delta to safeguard the diverted water supply. A key part of the proposed Bay Delta Conservation Plan, it remains far from approval.

A judge earlier this year imposed strict limits on DWR's ability to access private land, the result of a legal case involving about 150 property owners. Some of the terms are under appeal.

In that context, some are calling DWR's latest actions heavy handed.

Daniel Wilson said his 83-year-old mother was startled by a knock on the door at 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 5 at her home on Deadhorse Island, near Walnut Grove in Sacramento County. Looming on the stoop was a burly, tattooed process server delivering a DWR eminent domain notice.

Wilson had been in regular contact by phone and email with DWR staff about the access issue. He said none bothered to mention a legal notice was coming.

The California Water Commission must grant approval before DWR can access private land for the surveys. It meets Wednesday in Sacramento to consider more than 20 such requests.

For information, go to: www.cwc.ca.gov/meetings."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/18/3987437/california-pushes-for-access-to.html#ixzz1bGsdl6rv
 
Back
Top