Flame Arrestors

Ed65

Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
RO Number
21161
Messages
87
What's the best way to clean the flame arrestors on a boat? Should you lube them ,if so with what kind of oil? Thanks
 
Hot water and Dawn detergent will usually clean them but I usually end up using spray carb cleaner. Some guys wait until their wives are out of the house and use the dishwasher to supposedly good effect but that just does not appeal to me at all.
No oil, keep them clean unless it is made by K&N.
 
I use Simple Green and a brush followed by carb cleaner or brake clean.
 
Just did ours the other day. I've done it both ways noted above. This time I had a MerC "Water Separating Fuel Filter" (the one that looks like a spin-on oil filter) full of gasoline. I put that in the small baking pan I use under the oil filter and added another few ounces of gas. Just enough to cover the "fins" with the arrestor on edge. I rolled the arrestor in the gas like a little Ferris Wheel and brushed the in- and out-sides with a toothbrush. Quickest, cleanest job I've had on it. Maybe 10 minutes work. Spray Carb Cleaner does really well, too, as they've noted. That and "Brake Parts Cleaner" which works really well removing oil.
OIL - Don't oil the standard Arrestor. Noted above but I'll repeat that to be sure you don't miss it. Arrestor design keeps a backfire flame front from escaping its confines. BUT it's possible for the oil in the plates of a dirty Arrestor to catch fire.
Arrestor design takes "ignition" out of the Ignition-Fuel-Oxygen "Fire Triangle" and cleaning it takes "Fuel" out. We don't want to put "Fuel" back by adding oil.
 
I'm one of those guys that secretly does them in the dishwasher. Its grease and oil, same as on plates, pots and pans.... sort of. Comes out clean as a whistle and there's no petro fumes to deal with.
 
I always hit it with carb cleaner until there is no more black gunk coming off, then hose it down completely with fresh water (making it less likely to catch fire), then blast it dry with air from the compressor. Always comes out clean like new.
 
Spray with Carb Cleaner, hose out with water then hit it with the air compressor to blow out of the water.
 
Carb cleaner. If you have some time, then soak in a bucket full of hot water and Dawn after the carb cleaner. Agitate with a brush, blow dry with air, and they are as good as new.
 
Back
Top