MerCruiser Safety Recall

Silver Duck

Member
exMember
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
RO Number
10625
Messages
46
Hi All

Since I hadn't seen a thread on this topic yet, I decided to post this on ATC to reach a (possibly) wider audience than the engines and electrical forum might provide.

I just received a "notice for recall under the federal boat safety act" from Mercury Marine stating the following:

"On your model of Mercury MerCruiser engine, the alternator wire (orange in color) was routed by MerCruiser in one of two ways.

One routing allows for the orange wire, in some cases, to be chafed by motion between the oil dipstick tube and the alternator. If the orange wire is routed in this way, and does chafe, it is possible that the wire will be worn through. If the wire wears through it may spark and create an explosion, start a fire, or blow a fuse. These engines need to have the orange alternator wire inspected for damage, repaired if necessary, and then rerouted so that they will no longer be at risk for damage.

However, other engines (perhaps yours) were manufactured with an orange alternator wire routing path that does not place it at risk for chafing and failure. These engines need no repair."

I know that this pertains to the twin 5.0s on my 2006; since I got three letters (one with a slightly different spelling of my name) I suspect that it may also pertain to either the 6.2L on my previous boat or the 5.7L on the one before that.

The letter refers to Service Bulletin 2006-02, which I could not find on the Mercury Marine web site.

Perhaps Les or George could access the bulletin and clue us in on what engine models are potentially involved in this safety recall? I'd hate to see anybody who is not in MerCruiser's database miss this notification!

Silver Duck
 
Back
Top