Owner Liability

wiltok

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
RO Number
13336
Messages
92
I boat in Michigan and understand that the registered owner of the boat is legally responsible/liable for any accidents, etc. So, if I lend my boat to my 25 year old nephew and he has an accident that results in some kind of liability, what would be the most likely scenario? We would both be sued, I would only be sued, etc... Obviously I am not a lawyer (and am not seeking legal advice) but am curious about this issue. Basically, I have taken a stance and decided that no one (family included) is going to be using my boats without me being present (including my PWCs). I would like some legal backing (as you can imagine, I'm receiving pressure from the family that I am being ridiculous, too cautious, etc). I know most of you would agree with my stance - but I want to understand the legal issues.

Thanks in advance!!

-Keith
 
Back
Top