Past Threads

Grattitude

Member
exMember
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
RO Number
31089
Messages
37
Hey folks... Just a quick question: I was perusing past threads and was interested in the content of the opening subject matter and wanted to resd on, only to find out that the rest of the stories were gone. i.e. A guy wanted to know a good way to anchor on the particular thread and had about 10 replies to that thread. But when I opened the thread there was only the opening statement without any replies. Do the threads go off into thread never never land?
 
I don't have an answer for that one. I see that some of the threads on the earliest surviving page (page 20) for SF Bay and California Delta Boaters are complete and others are not. You could ask Les (site guru) about this here:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=58

In the meantime, there are plenty of us on the forum who anchor out in the Delta and Bay who can pass along info. What are you looking for?
 
As I recall [which is suspect sometimes![-crzwom]], Les had major hacker problems which caused him to have to move everything to different servers and be rebuilt. He has just never had the time to rebuild all the threads. I imagine a lower traffic forum such as our gets a lower priority for this kind of manually intensive project. Anything that isn't restored by now probably won't be restored.

So post your questions and we will begin building a new data base of info on this forum!
 
Thanks... It's nothing specific but the general knowledge that is gone. I have a passion and a hunger for knowledge regarding boating, waterways and techniques for enjoying those that are better than or may work eaisier than others. Another passion I have is reading, therefore the two come together in this forum very nicely. The one subject that I am refering to is very specific regarding anchoring stern towards the bank. The fellow that posed the question had some very unique situations that he was dealing with. He therefore had reached out to the community for input. Since I find this site to be very imformative, with a broad spectrum of knowledge with a mature way of presenting answers.... Most of the material that is presented in our little portion of the forum would make a darn good book...
Thanks for answering and also thanks for being willing to help.
 
Greg, whenever I anchor in the Delta [except in a raft up], I use two anchors. One if off the bow and the other is off of the stern. This is because most Delta anchorages are in rather narrow slus with tidal influence and two anchors maintains my boat in relation to the bank. I usually have my bow to the bank and my stern out towards the slu. This is especially useful if I need to make sure my stern I/O has enough water depth at low tide. However, if the area is plagued by wakes and/or wind chop, orienting your bow into the wakes may mean having the stern towards the bank or beach.

Are you looking for info regarding anchoring in a specific area or situation?
 
By anchored stern to bank you mean with the stern right up close to land?

A lot of people tie the boat up close to land by either end. You can tie off on a decent sized tree, use a grapple anchor or tie on a mooring that someone has left there. Usually boaters tie up bow-in because of shallow water at the shoreline. The shorelines of tule berms are usually full of snags and weeds that you don't want near your running gear. Plus, it's nice to have a view of the water from the stern.

If you get safely tied up stern-in along a protected area you won't have to worry too much about wind. If you get any wind at all you will find the boat is much more stable with the bow pointed into the wind. Whichever end of the boat is away from land, you should have an anchor cleated to it to prevent swing.

I don't consider tying up to a bank and running an anchor out to be actually "anchored out" because the boat is tied to the shore. It's still a very popular way to park a boat in the Delta.

We usually don't tie up to the shore. Too many mosquitoes there, IMHO. I like dropping a main anchor further out in the water and sometimes use a stern anchor to limit swing if the anchorage gets crowded. A stern anchor is handy too if winds are light and there is a chance of going 360 around the anchor at slack tide.
 
If you're in shallower water, like the Three River Reach, the bottom is covered by weeds. You'll need a heavier anchor and rode. Put the anchor out, let the weight of the anchor settle through the weeds. After 5 minutes, set it. Keep pulling on it til your certain that the anchor has dug in. If it's sitting on top of the weed beds, it will pull out and you'll retrieve your anchor and a wad of grass.

Spring tides can surprise boaters. It will be calm for most of the day, then, the current will take off. It's common to see several boats dragging anchor. Once, our entire raft up drug 40' down onto another boat. We deployed a 35 lb Danforth with heavy chain and that stopped us.

DSC00782.sized.jpg
 
quote:

Originally posted by yzer

I don't consider tying up to a bank and running an anchor out to be actually "anchored out" because the boat is tied to the shore. It's still a very popular way to park a boat in the Delta.





I believe Hal Schell referred to it a Delta tie up in his books. It is very common in the Delta and how I was taught many moons ago.
 
Back
Top