Refurb the genset head (or not)?

williamabernathy

Member
Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
RO Number
32322
Messages
164
Hi, All,

I'm wondering whether to redo (or not) the head on my Onan/Kubota 8.0 MDKD diesel genset (3 cylinders). It appears original to my boat, so vintage 1968.

After the genset would barely crank and not start, my mechanic found a bent pushrod and a seized valve, along with a pushrod that had jumped off its rocker arm seat.

I am comfortable with wrenches (rebuilt a car motor some years ago), so I pulled the head myself. Sure enough, the middle cylinder was the culprit, with rust on the valves and some on the piston top – enough to seize one of the valves but not looking too terrible on the piston. The other two sets of valves and all three cylinder walls look ok, no apparent scarring, no rust. When I bumped the starter, it moved the pistons smartly, fuel pumped from the lines, etc. (kind of a DUH on that, I know, but I had worried that the starter might have been shot, too). So the starter appears ok. Crankcase oil looks good, too – good, solid black, no milky appearance.

I'm puzzling whether the problem was a blown head gasket or whether I may have back-flowed seawater from over-cranking. It's an academic question maybe, but I am leaning toward the head gasket, since I found a problem in only one cylinder.

Anyway, I am thinking that having a machine shop refurbish the head, with new valves as needed, etc., might be the ticket to revive my genset. I'm willing to try that first, especially compared to the cost of pulling the genset and buying a new/newly rebuilt one.

I have the tech manuals and know the order of tightening the head bolts and the torque settings. (Also, don't I recall that I will need new head bolts, that the old ones won't hold proper torque?)

Am I off base? Thank you very much for your thoughts and suggestions. All are most appreciated.

V/R
 
Refurbishing the head, if all else looks good, is a relatively inexpensive way of getting the generator running again. Before you do, check the block for flatness. Using a metal straight edge (not a cheap yardstick) and feeler guages, measure the flatness of the block. You'll really need the manual to get the specifications on flatness and the torque specifications for the head and other parts. The manual will also tell you if you need new head bolts or can reuse the old ones. If the block is good, I suggest you go with having the head redone. Then, in the future, check you valve adjustment as least once each season. If the block is warped or out of specifications (highly unlikely), then a replacement for the generator is probably a better idea. Hy
 
We had an Onan 6KW, vintage 1969. It used a Magnaciter for voltage regulation. Really prehistoric but worked great. Had a voltage problem and changed it over to an electronic reg at a cost of around $350. Then came across a Norpro 10KW for $1K. Changed it out, should have done that a long time ago! PIA in changing it out myself but took my time and thought everything through. Worked like a charm. used it once and then the boat was totalled in a snowstorm.
I'd see if you could find a good used unit that could be tested before purchase. I took a chance. BTW, bought the boat back and fixed 80% of the work and sold it again. I'm sure the new owner appreciated the replacement genset.
But, I'd check it out to see if you could bring 'er back to life first. Weigh the costs. Maybe you could come into a good used genset and suck up the time/cost to replace.
Best!
 
LBW, Froggy,
Thanks very much for your replies. The head's at the shop now. We'll see what happens. It's worth a try.

V/R
 
Back
Top