Schematic / Info needed for PCM Fuel system

Reel Antsy

Active member
Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
RO Number
9587
Messages
1,036
Trying to help a slip neighbor out. He has twin 2002 5.7 SeaMaxx (PCM)engines in his boat.

He has a multipoint fuel injected engines. His high pressure fuel pumps located in his fuel filter canisters work but he tells me his low pressure fuel pumps are not working, drawing fuel from the tanks, to the high pressure pumps and fuel canisters.
I haven't spent much time on his boat, as I am not familiar with his set-up. Does anyone have some information on how this system works and a diagram for the system?

Thanks.
 
Jamie- I have no experience with SeaMaxx PCM's but have 2003 Crusader 5.7L MPI's made by the same company. I don't know what the differences may be.

Are you saying the LP pumps do not work on EITHER engine. That seems odd .

If the ign. switch is turned to On/Run and he cannot hear or feel the LP fuel pumps activating for a few second to build fuel pressure , the very 1st thing I would do is carefully check the fuses for the pumps and relays.

On my engines, they are on the top/port/aft part of the engine (just under the big aluminum engine cover & next to the valve cover) in a waterproof holder w/ retained cap containing at least 3 yellow 20 Amp ("mini"-size??) spade fuses. I've replaced 2 or 3 so far and keep spares onboard of course.

I also had an "rpm stumbling " issue that manifest occasionally for a couple years that was finally pinpointed when the pump did not prime for start one day and a thorough on-engine wiring harness "Wiggle Test" was performed. With ign switch turned to On, when the connector to one of the small black plastic fuel pump relays on top/fwd/port was wiggled, the fuel pump suddenly activated and the engine could be started. It turned out to be a very slightly bent connector pin in the connector, which when straightened, has worked fine for the last 7 years. So wiggling would be my second check.

Note that neither of the pump or relay issues will show up in the MEFI diagnostic scan devices or laptop software which get most of their info from ECM and connected sensors.

If , however, he can feel the LP pump running but it is not outputting fuel, check remote and on-engine fuel filters (near & to the LP pump) , tank or filter shutoff valves, A/S valve on tank , vent for restrictions , or fuel line suction air leak.

My engines were ordered with the optional Returnless Fuel System but I expect your neighbor's is standard Return system returning excess fuel to the tank.

If your neighbor's Owner's manual does not help, you and he might check Crusader's Owner's and Parts manuals for the 2003 Captain's Choice(MPI models) 5.7L engines:
http://www.crusaderengines.com/Owners Info/manuals.html (They've already replaced the 2002 manuals there with 2010, and for some reason have not been adding anything newer yet.) The parts manual will show relays , pumps , fuse holder and connectors on the Crusader engines which likely share some parts at least.

The only thing I could find re:SeaMaxx engines was this older parts diagram & list , which does include the LP & FCC HP fuel cell on manual p, F2-2 to F2-4:
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/PCM_Schematics/PCM_Marine_Engines_Complete_Large_File.pdf

FWIW-There is also a hardcopy MEFI 4 Diagnostic Manual available from Crusader distributors for ~~$100 ( or included "free" in the accompanying CD with Rinda's Marine Diacom diagnostic software for laptops.) I highly recommend anyone with a marine MPI engine with MEFI ignition to get themselves at least ready access to a MEFI scan device and diagnostic manual to use together.
 
Sandy, thanks for that detailed information!

Yes, both of his LP pumps don't come on. I as I mentioned, I haven't looked into it but I did mention to him that it was odd that both engine's pumps have no power.

Last we spoke this past weekend, I told him to be absolutely sure there were no fuses that could be open or have connection issues. I feel this is his problem and now that you have shed some light on possible locations for these protection devices, I will pass it along to him.

I am sure this issue will be resolved soon and I will post the results.

Much thanks again for taking the time to reply!
 
It seems odd to me that both LP's would be on the same fuse?
Your smellers on the right track, you just aint found the skunk yet.
 
Back
Top