this leaking stanchion is driving me nuts!!!!

booboo

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
RO Number
16369
Messages
168
hello, have a silverton (2004) and last year when washing starboard side of boat, I would get a few drops near the starboard window and thought maybe the window needed a drop of the black sealant. Because it was only a drop or 2 inside and did not damage any upholstery etc, nor did it leak when it rained, no biggy, put it on the spring list. Well, with the weekend rain in the northeast, I looked and low and behold, quite a few drops per minute were coming down. I know it is the stanchion because I tested it with a little left over pink antifreeze. I tried calking it with lifecaulk and it slowed greatly but did not stop. I took the screw out of the base of the stanchion and noted that it too (of course) was caulked, and I recaulked it. still, a drop or 2 came down. the boat is still warrantied but I am trying to learn to be as self sufficient as possible. I went and bought a slew of things everything from 5200 to liquid nails clear caulk to epoxies but have not tried any of it because I dont want to mess any of it for the dealer. I do not know if the rail should be pulled on and displaced and caulk directly applied to the base buy that looks like damage could be substantial by someone (like me) who has never messed with a bow rail. It definitely is this one stanchion base. Like I said, of all the stanchions to leak, thank god, this was the best one to do it because it spared screwing up anything inside. Ideas/comments?
 
Back
Top