Waterlift muffler help needed

I am going through this same thing on a larger scale (10 inch diameter) and both engines. Some years ago someone did an improper installation / fix which resulted in very slowly crushing both glass flanges via over tightened T- Clamps and a bad glass job. Very gradual water leaks resulted recently which we finally tracked down. Longer story than that, but no matter. The mufflers were still in very good shape. We have cut the flanges off all together and got properly fabricated new tubes which will be glassed into place. Inside each tube at the hose end, we are inserting and resining in stainless steel "crush tubes" which we actually bought from Hatteras( the boat is near their plant), who uses these now in new construction and was nice enough to sell them to us direct (the guy supervising this job worked there for many years). Overall my install will be the current state of the art. This is just too critical a system to go half-baked.

You absolutely must use the proper resin. This stuff is hard to come by. Hatteras wanted $600 for a five gallon pail of what they use, eventually we found another local boat builder who got it for us cheaper. We only need a couple of gallons, but it only comes in 5 gallons. So we will try and sell it off to one of the locals. Nice to be in a boat-building area. It is a very hazardous cargo to ship, which was another problem. Anyway, you want someone to do this job who has a lot of references or specializes in exhaust work. My boat is testimony to what happens when you don't, but fortunately we caught it in time. You can burn up your boat or sink it. Or just have to do this again in the future.

If I can get around to it I will upload some pix. I am going to be doing a little thread on the project on the Hatteras Owner's Forum.
 
Here are a few pix of the cut out tubes and the new tubes with crush ring (for illustration, not installed yet).

P3070027.JPG


P3070026.JPG


P3100032.JPG


P3170071.JPG


My foot in the picture below gives you a sizing reference:

P3170072.JPG
 
Thanks for the additional info caltex. One of the comments that sealed the deal with this fabricator is that he has done several Hat mufflers. I had talked with Centak regarding an anti-crush fiberglass tube when I was considering a DIY project-they strongly recommended that the anti-crush tube was not the solution in my case. With a SS insert, is there not a concern for anorobic corrosion-specifically the glass side of the SS ring? Just curious.
 
Not if you resin it in right' you don't just slide them in. Or should I say, have someone who knows what they are doing resin it in right. Both guys on this job worked at Hatteras many years and have great reputations. I got the glass tubes from there too. We'll see!
 
Back
Top