Why do we bother with Speedometers???

LrdWilder

Member
exMember
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
RO Number
20322
Messages
27
So we all know that using a Dash Speedometer is certianly not the most acurate form of measuring Speed, and most of us use our GPS to accurately gauge speed....But why for the love of all the boating holy when I tell the d$mn dealer to fix it so it registers SOMETHING (as it won't at the moment) do they look at me like I've got three heads, tell me to use the GPS (which I tell them I do) and then say that there not very acurate anyway?????

ANYONE????

For gosh sake, if I wanted a 3" hole in my dash that was just there to look like a hole I could easily get one by bashing my head against it after listening to these people!!! If its there when you get the boat you might as well use the thing, not to mention I'm only 28 and if I can't see the GPS speed read out doing 25kts I have no idea what some of "seasoned" boaters do!!!
 
As noted, a GPS gives you SOG (speed over ground) and your paddlewheel or pitot tube gives you STW (speed through the water). The difference is the affect of the current. If you are not comfortable navigating with charts, calculating set and drift and doing dead reckoning calculations, get yourself a back up, battery-powered GPS.
 
Brent, the pitot tube is much less expensive than a speed wheel. The problem is that they last just long enough to get the delivery completed before they clog up. That, of course, makes for an unhappy owner and an unhappy dealer because, with most boats, they have to be hauled to fix the clog. Just one of the many "penny wise, pound foolish" things done in the marine industry.
 
Back
Top