15hp Outboard Engine recommendation

Split Decision

Member
exMember
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
RO Number
26024
Messages
261
Currently I have a 1995 Johnson 9.9 short shaft outboard engine that I use on my Inflatable and 14' Aluminum boat.

I'm thinking I could purchase something like a mid 2000's Mercury 15hp 2 stroke outboard engine and get an approximate 50% hp gain and still have the same engine weight.

With the 2 stroke 15 Merc engines, is there any production years that would be considered better to buy? Are there other engine manufactures that have a good lightweight 15 hp short shaft outboard engine that would be as good or better than the Merc?

I should add that the reason I'd like to keep the engine weight light is I find taking my existing 9.9 off my inflatable when the inflatable is on my boat davits to be about as heavy as I want to handle.

Thanks,
Mike.
 
Back
Top