2010 Trip - the canals (Lots of Pics)

nwaring

RO Number
Recap. The total trip was 715 miles; we traveled in Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, and the Welland, Oswego and Erie canals and the Niagara River. We did 33 locks and went under 210 bridges. Debbi (Admiral) has a thing about going over bridges…now she has a thing about going under them!! The cast of characters included a 37' Larson express, 36' Silverton express and our 36' Mainship. We left our home port of Ashtabula Oh on 7/1 and returned home on Sunday morning 7/18.

Map of the route
tripmap.jpg

Day 1. We made the push to Erie Pa and stayed at the Erie Yacht Club. The first of many “tight" parking spots.
DSC_0014.jpg

Day 2. We left Erie early in the morning and arrived at Port Colborne, On. before noon. We stayed at Sugarloaf Marina. Customs was the normaleasy phone call.
DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Day 3. We arrived and paid ($184 USD) for the Wellland Canal transit. We were told about an hour and a half and we would get the call to start.

The holding pen!!
DSC_0039.jpg

DSCN2505.jpg

Waiting for the bridge that would send us down bound on the Welland.
DSC_0041.jpg

A fourth boat (40' Mainship) joined us. Per transit rules, in the higher speed areas of the Welland you are only allowed to go as fast as the slowest boat in your group, you have to stay together. So for our group that was 7 - 8kt.
DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSCN2506.jpg

Shiz starts to happen…
After doing the drive through of lock 8 I noticed hydraulic fluid on the bridge floor under the helm. It was leaking where the steering shaft came out of the pump. We chatted among ourselves about it and we continued on. Right before lock 7 we were ordered to pull over and stop on the wall. I thought great, we can check out the steering problem. It was really windy and the Welland doesn't provide much for pleasure boats to tie up to. There are bollards but they are about 25 feet from the edge. Debbi got our longest lines ready and the plan was as soon as we were up against the wall I would grab the stern line, exit the boat, go out around the bollard and back to her and tie off to the bow line that she held. In my haste to get this done quickly I didn't see that she had the safety cord up on our entry way. It caught my left ankle and launched me out onto the concrete where my full weight came down on my right side. X-rays after getting back reviewed that I had fractured two ribs. Even though I was hurting I forced myself up and finished the tie off.

There has been worse, our Welland transit took 11 ВЅ hrs counting the holding area. The steering lasted to the end and we got docks around the corner at St Catharines, On. It was a long day!
DSC_0054.jpg

Day 4.
We devised a plan to “steal" the pump from our lower helm and move it to the bridge. A friendly Canadian drove me around till we found a place to buy caps to cap off the hydraulic lines from the lower helm. We had it fixed by noon and decided to change our plans and headed over to Toronto.
DSCN2517.jpg

We got dockage on Toronto Island and we stayed for two days. It was a busy weekend in Toronto. The queen was in town, the tall ships were in the harbor and Gay Pride had a huge gathering.
Tall ships leaving port…
DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSCN2542.jpg

DSCN2543.jpg

Toronto skyline.

DSC_0060.jpg

DSCN2518.jpg

Day 6.
None of us had taken on fuel since day 1 in Erie and we didn't want to pay the $6 a gallon for gas so we decide to head straight back to Wilson NY to fuel up and do US customs. It took us 2 ВЅ hours to fuel the three boats and do customs.
DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Some creative docking while waiting my turn at the video phone! I didn't know how much water there was plus it would not have fit anyways.
DSC_0083.jpg

After we all fueled we heading on to Rochester and the Rochester Yacht Club where we spent 2 nights.
DSC_0086.jpg

DSCN2556.jpg

Lunch in Rochester
DSCN2570.jpg

Day 8.
We got an early start and headed to Oswego where we entered the Oswego Canal.
DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

Junction of the Erie and Oswego at Three Rivers.
DSC_0118.jpg

Here is what you get when you run out of options and it is getting late in the day that was 95+ degrees. The owners of this stop over were VERY nice. This came back to haunt me later with crap in my starboard oil cooler.
DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Day 9
Seneca Falls NY. Nice town. This is the place where women's rights movement started. Dockage, water and power were free (normal for the canal towns).

Photo-0051.jpg

Day 10
We all decided to spend another night in Seneca Falls. We went on a winery tour around Cayuga Lake.

DSC_0138.jpg

DSCN2586.jpg

The tour bus gang!

DSCN2592.jpg

Day 11.
We wanted to get west so we did a very long day (10+ hrs) and got to Fairport NY. At lock 26 we got very lucky and just made it under a railway bridge. The lock master had the clearance at 15' 4" and we are 15' 3". We got under but we did tap the rear edge of the bimini.
DSCN2597.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSCN2602.jpg

Day 12.
We spent the morning working on our boats. I had overheating problems in the starboard engine and the port transmission cable needed some adjustment. My starboard oil cooler (Crusader) had junk in it and all was good after flushing it out. The Silverton was having issues with his port engine that was fixed with a new set of plugs. We finally got going around noon and made it a short day by stopping in Spencerport NY
DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

Waiting my turn to get gas

DSC_0180.jpg

Day 13.
Another really long day but it would be our last on the canal. Only 2 locks but lots of lift bridges. We came out into the Niagara River and went to the Buffalo Launch Club where we spent two days.
DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

Day 15
Left the Buffalo Launch Club and headed to Commodore Perry YC in Erie Pa. The last obstacle of interest was dealing with the Niagara River current. Going under the Peace Bridge our speed dropped from our normal 13.5kts cruise all the way down to 6kts but still on plane.
Erie, we spent 3 days there and got in some much needed relaxation. For a bonus we got to spend some time onboard a 40' Tiara Sovran with IPS drives. I must admit the overall performance and the handling around docks with the IPS is nothing short of spectacular.

Day 18.
Made the 40 mile run home, it's always good to get home!

Photo-0054.jpg

Nice trip Niles, thanks for posting it.

Shel

Nice trip right trough our neck of the woods. Next time through, stay in Sodus over Rochester. Much better area/nightlife.

quote:

Originally posted by mariner36

Nice trip right trough our neck of the woods. Next time through, stay in Sodus over Rochester. Much better area/nightlife.

Next time we will

Thanks
Niles

Looks like you spent the night at JS Marina West just after Three Rivers Junction. To bad that little did you know then that you were only a couple of miles from Baldwinsville.
Great pics. I've done that end of the Canal myself to the Niagara River. Great scenery.

Tanq...you are correct. We knew Baldwinsville was close but the heat that day really had us whipped and we just wanted to stop. We were afraid maybe there would not of been space for the 3 of us in Baldwinsville so we ducked into JSW.

Niles

I am just 17 miles east of Toronto and had I known would have offered the 3 of you a free slip overnight and called in the fuel truck. Our last delivery was 75 cents per litre plus tax so $3.10 US per gallon.
Waaaayyyy cheaper than Marina fuel and I am the Dockmaster.
www.fairportyachtclub.ca

Thanks Gary. Going to Toronto was a last minute decision. We started calling around and the first one with availably was Toronto Island Marina so we took it. After dingying around the island I really liked the park area, maybe next time.

Hey…what ever happen to that crazy moose Bosun going on our trip?
Thanks
Niles

Wow, awesome trip! Felt like I was right there with you. One day I want to do something like that.

Well this is really cool. This old thread and even the pictures came over from the old site. This trip was almost 11 years ago.

Great job everyone on porting over the old threads

Thanks
Niles

Back