I think a lot depends on how big your boat is, how much you use the electric, and where you go with the boat when you leave your home dock.
If you aren't comfortable doing the electric work than you are probably better off not messing with it and just keeping your current set up.
If you are going with the receptacle then I would have two cords if possible. Set one permanently at your dock somehow where it isn't too much in the way, and keep the other stowed safely aboard for when you wind up someplace else that has electric.
Coiling up the electric cord and putting it on the boat where it might be in the way very time you want to take the boat out can be a pain. having an electric cord laying on your home dock where it might be a tripping hazard, or be submerged isn't a good idea either.
I don't leave my boat plugged in very much when I'm not there. I really don't have any reason too, other than maybe keeping a couple of bottles of something cold in the fridge, and I have made other provisions for that with a small dockside fridge secured in a shed. So I have my cord set up for my boat on my dock in case I plug in while we're hanging out, and I just disconnect and hang it out of the way when I leave, or pull away from the dock. I usually take the extra second or two to shut off the breaker to the dockside outlet too so that I don't have a live cord hanging around.
In the rare instance that I wind up somewhere else that has electric on the dock, I use the cord that I keep on the boat. Then again, I was lucky enough to have someone give me a cord that is in great shape after they sold their boat and didn't need it anymore. Most of my destinations are out to waterfront restaurants, or to spend some time out on the hook somewhere. Neither of those destinations have electric available as an option for me. The one place I have been spending some time docked at once in a while doesn't have electric on the docks either.