4.3 oil filter type

Steve Smith

Member
Joined
May 13, 2002
RO Number
8570
Messages
7
I have a 1992 4.3 LX mercruiser 4 BBL. Can anyone advise if these is problem with fitting the short type oil filter instead of the original longer one ?. My mechanic has fitted the short one which I think is intended for use with the remote oil filter set up. My filter is connected to the block. The smaller filter seems to have the same connection as the larger one but just less capacity.
 
All GM engines have the same filter. Some have less capacity. Generally use the largest one that will fit. It will have higher flow capacity.

It's my feeling that putting the smaller filter is the mark of a lazy mechanic.
 
The short one won't hurt, but like Charlie said the long one holds a little more oil. I wouldn't change it if the short one is already on, but would switch to the long one at the next oil change.
 
Our 5.7 uses the same filter assortment as 4.3. We don't have a remote-mounted filter. I can barely get the short one out and the replacement in, given how the engine is mounted, hull stringers, etc. For that reason, I stay with the short one. Full diameter, just short. I'm also glad not to have the remote mount, given the number of hose leaks I hear about.
 
Thanks for the replies gent's I will swap to the larger one at the end of the season.
 
JD, I'm just the opposite--wouldn't own an engine without remote filters.
 
I'm not getting any younger or more agile. Planned to add a remote filter till I read about several hose failures. I also don't understand why the remotes tend to mount the filter inverted. Changing the block-mounted one isn't too bad if I move the engine cover away from the work area instead of just open it. I also re-routed a blower hose that was giving me fits.
 
quote:

Originally posted by j-d

I'm not getting any younger or more agile. Planned to add a remote filter till I read about several hose failures. I also don't understand why the remotes tend to mount the filter inverted. Changing the block-mounted one isn't too bad if I move the engine cover away from the work area instead of just open it. I also re-routed a blower hose that was giving me fits.






By "inverted" I expect you mean opening down which may be so that the filter will drain most of it's contents before it is changed.
My Crusader remote is opening-up, which is the way I greatly prefer it, and conveniently located nice and high for simple easy changes. I always prefill before installing the new one, too (after triple-checking ...now... that the old gasket was definitely removed and I had it in hand separate from the old filter.)
 
There go those Crusader people. Making sense again. Just like them. MerC, like MerC, is Inverted.
 
Back
Top