Battery Question

JCI makes all of the Interstate batteries used in vehicles/boats, etc. On batteries with removable caps, the batteries with the corners of the caps notched are JCI. Avoid Exide, but Deka is OK.

Don't assume for example that because JCI made a Walmart MAXX battery sold in NY in 2011 that a Walmart in CA selling a MAXX in 2013 will be a JCI battery. Walmart and others have contracts and when the contract is up, things can change.
 
quote:

Originally posted by bomikes48

quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

I just purchased 2 new group 27 deep cycle port side house/port engine starting batteries from Batteries + about 4 hours ago. I about got a hernia getting them in and out of the SUV. $90 each. And a LOT heavier than the MAXX. They go in tomorrow.






And Costco has the 2GCS golf cart for $89 each. They are 208ah vs Trojan T105's at 225ah. The T105 can run better than $150 each. Both brands are 62lb.








I wish! Unfortunately SR uses the port bank as a starting/house bank.
 
At that price I'd go with the Costco, but my guess if you find a golf cart shop that does Trojans you'll get a better price. I bought my last set for about $100 each, delivered.
 
I stopped by Walmart and looked at their Group 27 Marine Battery. It says on it that it is made by Johnson Controls. I also looked at their group 29 which is also made by Johnson Controls, weighs about 8 pounds more that the Group 27, and is only about $5.00 more than the Group 27. It is slightly larger in length and height. I'm going to take some measurements later this week, and if the Group 29 will fit comfortably I might go with them for the extra $5.00 each.
 
I stopped by Walmart and looked at their Group 27 Marine Battery. It says on it that it is made by Johnson Controls. I also looked at their group 29 which is also made by Johnson Controls, weighs about 8 pounds more that the Group 27, and is only about $5.00 more than the Group 27. It is slightly larger in length and height. I'm going to take some measurements later this week, and if the Group 29 will fit comfortably I might go with them for the extra $5.00 each.
 
You want really good batteries? Buy Sears DieHard Platinum Marine AGM batteries.
 
And then upgrade your charger to one designed for AGM batteries.
 
If you regularly drain batteries down to 50% and don't fully charge them back up every time (like at anchor), do some research on AGM batteries. While Lifelines may be different because they can be normalized, I found that AGM batteries do not last very long (less than 2 years in my case) if used for anchoring. When I was researching the issue I found plenty of similar experiences on cruising forums.

Don't get me wrong as I really like AGM batteries, but not so much I want to replace them every 18 months.
 
The charging characteristics of AGM batteries are very close to those of flooded cell batteries. They are "drop in" replacements. My "up to date" charger uses the same settings for both. Gel batteries are different and would require a different charger or different setting on a more sophisticated charger. And probably modifications to the alternator as well.
 
Back
Top