Boat not cranking

Interesting. When ours quit because the kill switch got disturbed, engine would crank and crank only. No ignition, no gauges, no start.

Congratulations! Glad you got it! And thanks for the update.
 
Yes interesting. I believe most often at least, the lanyard kill switch interrupts ( opens or shorts, depending... ) the ignition circuit only. On the other hand, a bad neutral-safety-start switch circuit ( open, even in N) could prevent cranking. Jumping those 2 leads would allow start in that case.)

That's great you got it squared away.

Isn't it a little chilly for boating over there in IL? Brrr.
 
Well, I am in Il. and the boat is my son's and it is in Florida. I wish I were there to help him in person.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
 
Yeah, The neutral safety switch only has a single wire that 'opens' the primary ignition circuit. Kinda funny here. The starting circuit is completely separate from the ignition(running) circuit. In fact, the starting circuit has it's own ignition circuit which disengages along with the starter motor when the key is released from the 'start' position.

People do a lot of funny stuff to their boats...as in finding cement to fill voids in foam...ala capt Dan:D
 
Hey, I'm the winner! I said to check the neutral safety switch and any secondary switch. What's my prize?
 
Back
Top