Bradford Island Levee

Don't know about the collision, but a friend traveling through the area today was instructed by the USCG to slow to no wake speed False River, not far from the damage site. They were kept awake all hours of the night by graders, earthmovers and a ferry.
 
http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_13225552?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com
 
"The 570-foot freighter Tasman Revolution was bound from Stockton to the Bay at 8:25 p.m. Thursday when the steering capabilities on the ship apparently malfunctioned."

Yeah, right.
 
Originally posted by yzer

"The 570-foot freighter Tasman Revolution was bound from Stockton to the Bay at 8:25 p.m. Thursday when the steering capabilities on the ship apparently malfunctioned."

Yeah, right.
_______________________________________________

I agree.
Its the same thing when someone rear ends someone in their car, first thing out of their mouths are, the brakes failed.
 
I was out on the water Friday through earlier today so I missed all this excitement except for one report I heard on KCBS-AM.

The reports of this allision (including the press release from USCG) give a wrong name for this 570' freighter. It's not the Tasman Revolution, it's the Tasman Resolution.
http://www.uscgsanfrancisco.com/go/doc/823/317561/

If Tasman Resolution had steering problems just prior to the accident (as suggested by USCG) I suspect the problems resulted from digging a furrow in Santa Clara Shoal on the inside of the bend and outside of the marked channel. The levee damage happened near light 34 west of Fisherman's Cut.

Apparently, the steering problem wasn't all that serious because Tasman Resolution passed Point Reyes northbound at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, 8-29. Maybe all that steering needed was a little WD-40. As I write this the Tasman Resolution is loading at the Port of Kalama, Washington on the Columbia River not far from Portland, Oregon.
 
I wonder how long until this gets trotted out as a reason we "need" a peripheral canal?
 
Probably not very long. On the other hand, even with an "alternative conveyance" South Delta salinity and export water quality will rely on the western islands remaining intact: the peripheral canal proposals are not iron-clad and foolproof means of assuring water exports as Gov. Schwarzenegger and his water lobby would have everyone believe.

One off-course freighter could still bring an alternative conveyance system to it's knees.
 
The first I heard of this was on Saturday when I heard a Securite notice on Ch 16 by the CG. They were advising a No Wake Zone due to levee damage. I went through Fisherman's Cut over to the SJ Channel, but all I saw was one CG boat stationed at the beginning of the No Wake Zone. Only a couple of boats were in the area. It was dang hot and no one wanted to go 5 MPH on the river!
 
I was on anchored out while most of this went on and didn't have the VHF on often enough to hear Securite on this. We were quite a ways to the east.

Friday and Saturday were hot. Like one Delta dip per hour during the afternoon hot. The wind came up Saturday evening and things cooled down after that.
 
It was really hot on Saturday. Hottest boat day of the summer for us. It sounds like lots of BoaterEd people were out. We saw Flywright on the Mokelumne near Korth's.
 
Does he fly a red and white Cessna?
 
Back
Top