Bridge Stereo receiver problems

Kevdon22

Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
RO Number
32964
Messages
337
The 12 volt Stereo system on the bridge is not working correctly.
Neither the volume control or the on off button does not work. The on off button also has the mute function which turns the volume down. The unit will not shut off with this button nor will it switch between mute and on.

Initially when I turned on the toggle switch the volume the unit came on but was barely audible.
I assume it is stuck in the mute position, Interesting, leaving the unit on for circa 4 hours, the volume increased somewhat; but the volume switch or the on-off switch still do not work.
I have ruled out the speakers and the wiring to them since both speakers act the same way.

I am close to replacing the entire unit, Should I try to expose the removable portion, which contains the volume and on off switch, to some "moderate" heat to see if the functions can be restored? The voltage feed wires seem to be OK.
The receiver/CD is a relative low end JVC circa 8 years old.

Appreciate any comments including suggested bake out temperature if that might help.
Thanks in advance
 
Do yourself a favor look at the FUSION MS-700 consider it an upgrade. I really love this unit and all the accessories that you can get for it. I just installed a Blue Tooth module on mine this past weekend and love the unit.
As far as baking it my suggestion would be to leave it in the sun for a day. I doubt it will help though.
Bill
 
"bake out temperature" ? Well that's a new one on me and I am a retired electronic technician.

Most likely, we would call your stereo "broken" and with the low cost of these units and the high cost of having one repaired, they are pretty much "throw away" items in 2013.

If this stereo has a removable faceplate, I suggest removing it, cleaning the contacts with electronic grade contact cleaner, then reinstalling it to see if the problem was in the connections to the faceplate.

Other than that, consider replacing (updating) your stereo. Personally, I replaced a perfectly good stereo/CD player with a unit that plays AM/FM, and accepts SD cards but not CDs. You can put the equivalent of a dozen or more CDs on a single SD card and not have to fool with changing or storing CDs or problems with the mechanical CD drive.
 
Ron, I agree the unit I suggested above will accept a USB flash drive, almost any i-Phone/ Smartphone and Blue Tooth with the optional smart BT adapter. My unit doesn't do CD's unless you order a version that does play CD's.
If it were me anything other than a simple face plate contact cleaning and it would be in the recycle bin.
Bill
 
Thanks for the comments,
As I mentioned I was close to just giving up on the old unit anyway, although the volume level did recover somewhat after operating for about 4 hours, the on-mute switch still did not operate. I should have mentioned that this was not the primary stereo on the boat since I also have a high powered 110 V unit in the salon, but the 12 V is convenient when at anchor since it does not require operating the generator.

I was primarily trying to avoid the pia challenge of removing the old and installing the new especially reaching in the opening and joining wires in a small compartment in the bridge console where the 2nd stereo is installed in the dash. Challenges that were fun 10 years ago are now big chores especially in confined spaces
Without encouragement on this forum, I purchased and installed a new 12 V stereo for the bridge which handles CD's, thumb drive, i-pod inputs and also has 7 weather channels. Fortunately the old speakers and wiring still work since I no longer have the stomach to re run wires to nearly impossible places. I had my grandson help out and it works well even to his wired I pod.
Again thanks for constructive comments.
 
After rereading my last post which I said:
"Without encouragement on this forum, I purchased and installed a new 12 V stereo for the bridge which handles CD's, thumb drive, i-pod inputs and also has 7 weather channels. Fortunately the old speakers and wiring still work since I no longer have the stomach to re run wires to nearly impossible places."

What I meant:
Without encouragement "that the old unit could recover" on this forum, I purchased and installed a new 12 V stereo for the bridge which handles CD's, thumb drive, i-pod inputs and also has 7 weather channels. Fortunately the old speakers and wiring still work since I no longer have the stomach to re run wires to nearly impossible places.

Again thanks for comments
 
quote:

Originally posted by Kevdon22

After rereading my last post which I said:
"Without encouragement on this forum, I purchased and installed a new 12 V stereo for the bridge which handles CD's, thumb drive, i-pod inputs and also has 7 weather channels. Fortunately the old speakers and wiring still work since I no longer have the stomach to re run wires to nearly impossible places."

What I meant:
Without encouragement "that the old unit could recover" on this forum, I purchased and installed a new 12 V stereo for the bridge which handles CD's, thumb drive, i-pod inputs and also has 7 weather channels. Fortunately the old speakers and wiring still work since I no longer have the stomach to re run wires to nearly impossible places.

Again thanks for comments





---------------------------------

Good choice on your replacement Glad you were able to ignore the resident know it all of BoaterEd and his my way or the highway sarcastic opinions. . . .after all he is a "retired electronic technician". Therefore it must be correct. . . .HE said it on the internet. ;) I would have made the same choice that you did.
 
Ron had expressed valid points like him or not Bobalong.
Bill
 
Someone was apparently having a bad day and decided to express himself using his keyboard and anonymous screen name.

I try to give advice on subjects I know about. Most of my knowledge came from other folks in one way or another so I feel good about passing it on when I can.

My posting style may be more short and to the point than other people's, but I don't see the point in dancing around or sugar coating things.
 
Back
Top