can anyone recommend inexpensive engin rebuilder

stang32

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
RO Number
14425
Messages
56
I need a new 4.3 mercruiser long block, looking to not spend a lot.
it is a 2000
 
Me...'cept I'm 3000 mi west.

The most cost effective motor to put in would be a 5.7

They've been making the SBC (Small Block Chevy) since 1956 and the most rebuild motor in the world...so the parts are cheap. I know of a few guys that re-powered with Mr goodwrench truck crate motors that cost $1300. May have gone up in price. worked fine for smaller boats, around 20' or less.
 
I can suggest where not to go...
Rapid O Marine out of Florida.
I purchased a 4.3 V6 from him and in less than 6 hours a wrist pit walked out of the connecting rod and wore into the cylinder. This is what happens when you overheat a wrist pit as it becomes undersized.
The second engine, which took me 3 months to get, ran for 10 hours before the pressed in rocker studs starting coming out of the head. This is what happens when you oven clean heads with pressed in studs.
 
Most of the time you get what you pay for.

The closer the shop or rebuilder, the less you will pay in shipping. Engines are heavy.

You need a boat engine, not a truck or car engine. There's a difference.

Many boating magazines have adds for engine suppliers. Check there.
 
There's not a big difference in GM gas car/truck engines vs a marine long/short block. The freeze out plugs and the camshaft come to mind. The other difference is the color of paint.
 
Xmeter,
You ain't the first guy here to 'talk' about Rapido Marine.[:P];)
 
I dont know if they are the least expensive, but some years back I used Jasper. I used them on two different occasions, with two different boats. I dont have the first boat anymore, so I dont know how that engine held up. I still have the second boat, and after eight seasons it is fine.

eric
 
quote:

They've been making the SBC (Small Block Chevy) since 1956





Not often I get to correct Charlie.
First sold in 1955 model cheby, made in 1954 :D

Dowhat Charlie said and check out a little larger crate engine so you can install it once.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Pa Mikee

There's not a big difference in GM gas car/truck engines vs a marine long/short block. The freeze out plugs and the camshaft come to mind. The other difference is the color of paint.





The cam is probably important.

All the electrical and fuel system parts are different. According to a televised factory tour of one of the marine engine plants I once saw, they make over 500 changes to marinize a GM block. Paint is only one of these.

I think I would stick with a marinized engine for a boat just to be on the safe side.
 
Yeah, Brucie, Saw that mistake but was too lazy to fix it.[:I]

500 changes to marinize an auto engine? There ain't even 500 parts. Engines specs from GM and Merc are identical, from torque and bolts to pistons. They're even so much alike, the pistons are the full dish type which were developed to lower compression and other EPA regs.

The basic marine parts changed are the 'freeze plugs', head gasket, and cam. None of the other external parts come with a long block...even though many of these parts need very little or nothing to match them to marine grade parts. The marine rating are mostly the tests they are subjected to in order to get the marine rating...so they can sell them for more, though, not so much any more as auto parts sometimes cost more....as in some permanent magnet starters.

I don't have direct knowledge, but, I've heard Crusader dose more actual marinizing to their engines. These may or may not include forged cranks, connecting rods and pistons.
 
quote:

Originally posted by rawidman

The cam is probably important.

All the electrical and fuel system parts are different. According to a televised factory tour of one of the marine engine plants I once saw, they make over 500 changes to marinize a GM block. Paint is only one of these.





Got a link to video? I get the impression they were just trying to justify why a marine engine is 4x the cost of the GM engine. There is very little to no difference in the short block. Maybe they changed the torque of the rod bolts by 0.5 ft/lbs. That would make a big difference! When GM stopped making big blocks, the marine engine manufactures stopped selling them. Why? Because they were using stock GM parts.
 
Charlie: I dont think thehed gasket and freeze plugs matter if it is FWC
 
quote:

Originally posted by jtybt15

........... The marine rating are mostly the tests they are subjected to in order to get the marine rating...so they can sell them for more, though, not so much any more as auto parts sometimes cost more....as in some permanent magnet starters.





That's not correct and it's not a good idea to suggest to anyone that automotive fuel and electrical system parts are the same or can be substituted for marine parts. Marine fuel system parts must contain any liquid or vapor and return it to where it can be burned safely, not let it drip or evaporate. Electrical parts must either not spark or be designed to contain any sparks or explosions or to exclude vapor from possible sparks..

It doesn't matter in a car, the car engine is open to the atmosphere. The marine engine is enclosed in a confined area where fuel vapors and sparks can cause a fire or explosion.

The 500 engine modifications information was from Mercruiser and from Volvo. I can't verify that or disprove it.

"Freeze plugs" have nothing to do with freezing, they are plugs for filling holes left by the casting process for the block.

If I were considering buying a boat and found that the engine had been replaced with a truck or car engine, I would walk away right then and there.
 
we will not use or install a reman even if god used to work for the rebuilder replace with a new long block or bobtale its much cheaper in the long run
 
Kev,
How about your 'race' motors. I don't expect you buy them ready to go??[:O]
 
Back
Top