Can I covert this to a 12v cigarette sytle Charger

I have two of these on my 1989 34 Tolly. One in the salon and one on the bridge. i would like to swap them out for a "cigarette Style" charger. While we are at it, what type of connection is this and how would you use it.
 
Yes, provided there is 12 volts on the back side and enough wire to work with.
 
Yes, what is that for?

The big question is it 12 or 24 volts? I would assume 12 but not knowing what it's for I would meter it just to be safe!
 
quote:

Originally posted by Audrey II

Yes, what is that for?

The big question is it 12 or 24 volts? I would assume 12 but not knowing what it's for I would meter it just to be safe!






Tolly is a very very high end boat. It's probably for a custom hand held spotlight....or it's an electric nipple clamp. Your choice.
 
I'm thinking it's for the nipple clamps:) After all it is a high end boat!
 
I'm not a marine electric expert and I actually have never spent a night in in Holiday Inn Express, but it looks to me like the 12 volt outlet I have on my '89 Santego. I actually had to ask the surveyor what it was when I bought the boat-and he informed me that it was a 12 volt outlet. I quit smoking 13 years ago and have no need for a cigarette lighter so I never tested it. Your results may vary, but ya get what ya pay for.
 
I have never been a smoker but I plug things into my lighter plug all the time!
 
Do yourself a favor and screw the cap on it and forget it. You will find nothing today that will mate with those contacts. You could remove it completely and install a cigar lighter fixture and then use it to charge your cell phone or other low current device.

I know its salty looking but it serves no purpose today. If you do decide to replace it with something more modern, whether you smoke or not, you might want to check the wiring behind that old plug.
 
quote:

Originally posted by chriscraft67

Do yourself a favor and screw the cap on it and forget it. You will find nothing today that will mate with those contacts. You could remove it completely and install a cigar lighter fixture and then use it to charge your cell phone or other low current device.

I know its salty looking but it serves no purpose today. If you do decide to replace it with something more modern, whether you smoke or not, you might want to check the wiring behind that old plug.






What he said.

This is an obsolete DC electrical outlet. You can't convert it to a charger but you could replace it with a more modern outlet that could be used with the proper cord to charge a phone, camera, etc.
 
You mean the same outlet I have on my Santego won't work with a cigarette lighter??? Damn...good thing I quit smoking 13 some years ago. I do have a replacement 12volt outlet that has been sittin in my extras drawer for about 10 yrs.....might be time to use it. Gawd I luv dis forum....I always learn sumptin new.
 
What is a cigar(ette) lighter? I thought they were called "Power Points" according to my car owners manual. [;]
 
The common "cigarette" (cigar) lighter socket design was great for its original purpose. When the element got hot, it was pushed out of electrical contact and ready to light a cigar.

It makeas a lousy 12 receptacle because there's nothing but a point to point contact for the positive electrical connection. If it's just a bit loose, the connection is broken.

Strangely, nobody has managed to replace it with something better even though it would be simple and cheap.
 
quote:

Originally posted by rawidman

The common "cigarette" (cigar) lighter socket design was great for its original purpose. When the element got hot, it was pushed out of electrical contact and ready to light a cigar.

It makeas a lousy 12 receptacle because there's nothing but a point to point contact for the positive electrical connection. If it's just a bit loose, the connection is broken.

Strangely, nobody has managed to replace it with something better even though it would be simple and cheap.






Could not agree more. For whatever reason however, I found the Dual USB power adapter really sticks tight into the socket. I had a lot of trouble on my airplane with units that would vibrate out, this one does not.
 
Back
Top