Can't achieve WOT

CurrentSea

Active member
Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2002
RO Number
10265
Messages
9,958
So 2 issues

Just ran about 4 hours in boat.
Boat has not moved in a month.

1) could not achieve WOT. Most rpm was 2800 and speed of 20mph. It got better to where it was 3200 rpm and 26 mph. Normal wot is 3500 and 33 mph.

2) not sure if related but my autopilot gave me a no ips error and would not engage. Not sure if related.

I assume I have growth but I also feel vibration so could be fishing line in prop too.
 
sure could, get a diver to have a look. If both engines are the same rpm then it is probably growth.
 
Boat not moved in a month...my money is on running gear growth.
 
Easy money has it being growth Dave. Get the bottom cleaned. Growth from Barnicals can cause prop or shaft vibration as well.
I wouldn't try and push it until the bottom is cleaned and the shafts and props cleaned as well.
Welcome to the life of being a Dock Mary!
My boat won't even plane if it has a fair amount of growth on it.
Bill
 
Yeah, it s a bit early in the season and water is still cold up there but check the drives and props for growth first
 
Concencus seems to be fouled props

Gonna see if I can get a diver tommorrow
 
IPS boats are very susceptible to fouling from growth on the pods and props. It is important to either use PropSpeed or Trilux 33 at the beginning of each season. If using Trilux, prime the drives with Primocon. When I first got my boat I used PropSpeed. I found it expensive and a real "bitch" to apply correctly. It did work but I didn't like it. For the last three seasons I have been using Trilux. I've found that Trilux works really well. Not only does it prevent fouling but because it totally covers the drives and wears off more slowly it reduces the IPS anode consumption substantially (it helps to offset its cost). Also, you might want to consider reconditioning the props if there are any dings on the leading edges. I've found that reconditioning makes a difference also. Good practice is to recondition props every three to five years even though most people don't do it.

I don't think the "No IPS" error on the autopilot is related.
 
Yeah. Ironic my mechanic is here. He says not related and try a master reset or they need to trace back to communicator.
He said fouling or a charged air sensor but not sure that makes sense to me since it's both motors.
It's always something with a boat!
 
Dave,

A friend at my marina took his I/O boat out and it would not turn up to WOT RPMs. His boat sat for 3 weeks with no use. He had Rutherig pull his boat and he had barnacles all over his props. They scraped and powerwashed his running gear and boat is running perfectly now. Guess water is warm enough or brown enough (yuch!) for growth.

Jeff
 
I did not run the boat last weekend. So only two weeks idle. Boat struggled to get on plane yesterday and would not run WOT. Tilted the drives up and both duoprops have many small barnacles.
 
Those drives are designed to be very efficient, I suspect that it doesn't take much to kill that efficiency. If it is both engines then it is almost certainly fouling.
Diver are cheap compared to overloaded engine problems.
 
Diver under boat now.
Barnacles.
Starboard worse than port.
Which made sense.
Rpm starboard was lower.
 
The bent prop isn't good news Dave. Can the prop be taken off and re-trued? I guess you won't know until you get to your home marina. I'm not sure if it's economical to carry spare props for your POD drive system?
Bill
 
So diver says no impact.
Prop is curled under like it was sitting on something.
I am guessing there is something hard in my home slip and at low tide it was banging on it or sitting on it
I ran 4 hours here on it.
Gonna see what I can about getting another set and doing it in water here.
If that doesn't work out then only option is run back home on it.
My mechanic is here so as soon as I can talk to him I will explore options
Port side got up to 3200 rpms and ran pretty good with not alot of vibration on way here.
Port has bent prop. It was actually starboard that would not achieve better rpms and that side was dirty with barnacles
So he cleaned them all up and should be better.
I can do 26 mph with a bent prop.
 
Frustrating, and you don't need anybody to tell you that. So let me remind you of another aspect - You have a Simply Outstanding propulsion system that will amaze and delight you.
I'll add this, too. I'm proud of all of you that didn't throw in the towel after Sandy. The Life's Too Short case beats being conservative and not exposing yourself to risks. Friends, an MD and Nurse Wife, approaching retirement. Then complications after a minor hospital procedure uncovered an unrelated Stage IV Cancer.
 
That is a first. In all of BE I have never heard of props being damaged that way.
 
Go find a scrap stainless steel prop and try to curl the edge with a few tools, it is almost impossible to do. I would doubt that the prop would distort by the boat sitting on bottom, unless the sea bottom is steel or granite and the hull bounced on the prop several times. Curled edge could be from contact with sand while underway. Vibration can do untold damage (seals and bearings) and operation with a distorted prop will complicate a possible future warranty claim, if applicable. With Fed-Ex anything can be delivered overnight, cost is another story.
 
Keith has a point. is there more than one blade bent??
 
Agree. Just not sure. Diver said he could not see sign of a recent hit
Whatever. Mechanic checked it and said vibration is low and I can run back home with it.
Ips is very balanced even with a bad blade. There are 6 blades.

Will haul at home.

Really sucks.
 
Back
Top