Charger Recommendation

Rick D

Member
Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
RO Number
32381
Messages
799
Hello all.

About to replace my old Charles charger because it's the old style that you cannot leave plugged in or it could fry the batteries.

I need a recommendation on a replacement size. I would like a 2 bank (1 group 29 starting, 2 group 29 house) but could see the benefit if it offered a 3rd bank.

Can I get away with a 20 Amp charger for these 3 batteries for regular flooded batteries?

It seems as though when you get beyond 20 amps, the price really starts to climb. We use our boat maybe once, occasionally twice a week. The rest of the time I would leave it tied to shore power charging.

Thanks,
--Rick
 
A few years ago I would have suggested the Xantrex TruCharge line they offer 3 stage battery charging, high amps and the newer versions really don't care much about the AC input voltage. However I am seeing premature failures when they are 3 to 5 years old. As a percentage I think it's small but it's really just a smart power supply and the failure rate should be close to -0-.
I would look at Charles again just make sure it's a 3 stage smart charger.
I still like Xantrex but will no longer endorse the line. There is no real factory support after you're out of the warranty period. They are considered to be a disposable item by the factory.
Bill
 
Charles and NewMar are two high quality, American made, owned and supported brands with great after the sale service. Sounds like 20 amps would be fine for you with the usage you describe. You could call either company and get a rec from them as well.
 
Great. There's a Charles 5000 series 20 Amp charger on eBay for under $300 I will likely pull the trigger on assuming it is a "smart" charger and I can leave it on when away from the boat.

Thanks,
--Rick
 
quote:

Originally posted by caltexfla

Charles and NewMar are two high quality, American made, owned and supported brands with great after the sale service. Sounds like 20 amps would be fine for you with the usage you describe. You could call either company and get a rec from them as well.





Thanks George, I agree with either of the US made chargers you suggest. They have a real service organization and an extremely low failure rate.
Rick you can probably sell your Charles ferro charger in the classifieds here on BE. There are people that don't mind using them.
Bill
 
Installed a CHARLES UL 5000 three bank 20 amp smart charger in 1996 on NO ROSES. It’s on whenever the boat is NOT underway or in transit on the trailer. Flooded battery life has been fantastic! They are tested with a Midtronics microCELLTRON annually to track the trends. So far this Boat is in its 18th season and only on its second set of wet cell batteries. Ensure you install the required DC fuse/s on each battery bank feed. Couldn’t be more satisfied with the CHARLES UL 5000 three bank 20 amp smart charger.
 
Wow I'm feeling a little bummed:) I bought the Xantrex TruCharge but so far so good I still have me old charger I was thinking I might so it I can get them to give a discount on an upgrade and keep it as a backup.
 
We just installed a Promariner Pronautic, and like it so far. I got a thumbs up when I asked about it here.

I called tech support to get clarification on a couple of things, and got right through to someone who knew all the answers.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Nancy

We just installed a Promariner Pronautic, and like it so far. I got a thumbs up when I asked about it here.

I called tech support to get clarification on a couple of things, and got right through to someone who knew all the answers.






I also just installed a Pronautic 40 amp charger to replace my old 20 amp Xantrex that cooked my 4 D batteries. The Pronautic is a true smart charger in that it will distribute it's amperage as needed to each battery.
Al
 
Dave I have my original Yellow TruCharge on my main starting batteries. I purchased a newer 40 amp TruCharge that has been on the thruster bank for about 4 years and last year I purchased the 60 amp 3 battery charger you have to replace the older "yellow" Xantrex 40 amp TruCharge. I have the remote display unit and the remote temp. probe. I will probably install the 60 amp unit in a few weeks. I charge 6 batteries from the ER charger 2 31 series on each engine, one for the generator and a 31 series under the upper bridge's helm. I have fuses for each leg of all the chargers. My Xantrex Freedom 2500 inverter/ charger with the Link2000r remote has been working flawless since I installed it 8 seasons ago, and I'm still on the 3 original Lifeline 8D AGMs for the house bank.
So Xantrex has been good to me they owe me nothing.

Bill
 
quote:


I also just installed a Pronautic 40 amp charger




Same here. Only a few weeks old so I can't comment on how well it will hold up or charge the batteries.
 
After a third warranty exchange on my Xantrex Trucharge 40 I decided to get something else. I originally had a Promariner 20 amp that had worked well. I called Promariner and they gave me a deal on a ProNautic 40 for being a previous customer. Note that this was about 3 years ago before that line became available via retail channels. It has been a great unit. I keep the Xantrex installed as a spare or when I want more charging amps. But I would never trust it when away from the boat.
 
A few years back my boat was hit by lightning The Chas. charger was toasted. It was under warrantee and Chas sent me a new one overnight. I don't forget service like that.
 
The ProMariner on my Carver is 24 yrs old and still going strong with my 2 AGM's and Group 27 for the generator. Never heard a discouaging word about them.
 
Back
Top