Cost of Tune-up???

david.h

Member
exMember
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
RO Number
15202
Messages
50
I have a 1987 33ft Cruisers Inc Esprit. I replaced (remans) the engines in 2008/9. Although the boat is running with no problems that I know of, I want to tune-up the engines, which are 350hp big block crusaders, frsh water cooled. (Want to get this done and paid for before I retire.) Anyway I have original Rochester carbs that are going to be rebuilt and electronic ignition. Any Ideas on what it might cost or your experience??? By the way, I'm using a marine mechanic that I trust and have used for the last 15 years.
 
quote:

Originally posted by david.h





Why not just ask the mechanic for the price?

Ask what he plans to do and for a breakdown in labor and materials.
 
quote:

Originally posted by rawidman

quote:

Originally posted by david.h





Why not just ask the mechanic for the price?

Ask what he plans to do and for a breakdown in labor and materials.








Agree
 
Add a 3rd agree, to your replies.. You've known and used him for 15 years, you should have an idea of what he's gonna charge or simply enough, as stated, ask him.
 
Just outta curiosity, are Crusaders the original engine manufacturer. And who makes the electronic ignition system?

Q-jets that have lasted this long are probably still set up right for your engines. Just a cleaning should be all they need. Boats aren't like cars where the throttle are constantly moving. I've never seen throttle shafts worn as sometimes mentioned. Overly strong return spring could cause excessive wear, but I haven't seen it.
 
Hmmmm

You said everything is running properly. How many hours since last "Tune Up"? Minimum should be 250 hours. Boat engines are worked on WAY more than they should be. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Suggest you change the oil and filters and run it till something reduces performance. For the average boater Rochesters should go at least 10 years. Impellers 2/4, fuel filters yearly, oil and filters 100 hours.
 
I tend to agree with OHB - especially on the carburetors.
 
Originally posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER

Hmmmm

You said everything is running properly. How many hours since last "Tune Up"? Minimum should be 250 hours. Boat engines are worked on WAY more than they should be. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Suggest you change the oil and filters and run it till something reduces performance. For the average boater Rochesters should go at least 10 years. Impellers 2/4, fuel filters yearly, oil and filters 10 yrs.
-------------------------------------------

Ain't that the truth. Oil & Oil filters and impellers I agree they are a must do. Fuel filters I haven't changed in years, but then I'm not diesel.
 
If you want to avoid carburetter and fuel filter problems. Pump the bottom of your fuel tank/s every 2 years. The nastys gather there. Your fuel pick up is about an inch off the bottom of the tank. When the crap builds up enough you will suck some of it up. If there is a lot of build up it will shut you down. A 10 buck "little red pump" from Walmart and 2 or 3 feet of 3/8 copper tubing will get to any area in your tank.
 
Back
Top