Creating somewhere to stand in the engine room

faverod

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
RO Number
21789
Messages
17
I have a 33' express cruiser with the typical twin engine I/O cramped space with room to stand between the front of each engine and behind the generator. I need to either stand on the center stringers or on the bilge floor. I was thinking of creating a platform out of Starboard to span the gap from the out stringers to the center stringers as a place to stand. I can't go completely across since I need access to the AC and generator water strainers in between the two center stringers. I'm wondering if anyone has installed something similar before and how the heat of being in close proximity of the engines may effect the starboard?
 
Starboard doesn't have much structural integrity. It will sag over time. I'd suggest some aluminum angle covered with diamond plate or something similar.

Perhaps you could make some sort of mount that allows you to remove it when not in use.

I built a small box [3 x 8] from Starboard that I mounted on one of my stringers. Inside, I keep small plumbing parts for the fresh water system and washdown. The top is a "step" that helps me get in and out of the engine room.
 
A friend with a 36' built-down downeaster w/ single diesel had to stand with his feet on both greatly sloping sides of the bilge as it dropped into the deep keel area of the bilge while straddling the prop-shaft( moving or not).

As this was very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous, he built a fairly small, removable plywood level platform with vertical supports matching both curved sloping sides and is just above the prop-shaft.

It's stable, easily installed & removed, and so much safer and way more comfortable now when working on engine or transmission forward and generator aft.
 
My old Regal had something made from wood.
On the top was that heavy duty non skid vinyl.
On the back was just 2 ferring strips that helped guide it between the stringers.
I lifted up to get access to strainers and bilge.
New boat the gap is much more narrow because of diesels, so I don't have that in new boat.
Will see if I can find a picture.
It was just painted wood under the vinyl.
Never warped, it doesn't really get wet, well it did in Sandy, but whole boat did!
 
I 2nd Current Sea's suggestion. I fabricated a platform with 3/4 inch painted plywood with furring strips to keep it in place between the stringers. Easily removed for acces underneath but gives you an excellent platform for working on the engines...and the cost is cheap.
 
Lot's of good "Hand holds" is a life saver when you have to be down there in Heavy seas.
 
I've used Starboard as bilge floors on a number of occasions. If the span is not to great it will not sag. If the span is wider you have to brace it. The heat does not seem to effect it.
 
I would suggest a 2" X 8" piece of wood cut to go across the width of the engine room. I install this board when I am working in the engine room and then remove it before operating the boat so it does not hit the front of the engines. If there is space use a wider board.
 
I have same set up. Previous owner basically built a sleeve out of starboard that fit's between the stringers with a lip over the top. It's perfect to kneel on and try (cursing loudly) to remove a remote oil filter assembly then kneel again while crying openly when I did it wrong and drained the entire engines oil into the bilge.......but...more to the point, starboard works but it needs to be built using vertical supports.
 
Back
Top