Crusader 270's no buzzing at ignition after sink

johnnyu

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
RO Number
33318
Messages
3
ok. I was working on a clogged manifold and in then process took the riser off and laid the riser and exhaust hose off to the side. The bow was beached pretty much at low tide. However... yes...water came in and sank the back end and my two crusader 270's went under fully as did my generator and some other things. I have removed all water from the engine at this point in a very maticulous way as to be able to oil them back up and try to get them running asap. yes I need to check the fuel etc too and I have disconneted the fuel line to be sure I dont suck unkown fuel into the carb.

My prolem is this. The batteries are on charge and I am now in the cabin trying to get the engines to crank. I get no buzz at the ignitions on either engine. Could this be because the starters are still wet? I checked the reset buttons on each motor and they are fine. I do have power in the cabin. Bildge Pumps work etc. Yes. follow this story. Its a good one. also yes. I have insurance and I haven even gotten an adjuster to contact me back yet. Meanwhile I cant let the engines just sit.
 
No, you can't let the engines just sit, but you also can't just go around turning things on either. I would disconnect the cabin fuse block from the battery so you don't short things out (you said the bow didn't go down so I assume the cabin is fine). If I were you, I would wipe off all electrical connectors and spray them with WD-40. Then wipe them again. Before you do this, you should spray everything that got wet with fresh water and remove the batteries. If the batteries went under, remove the caps and make sure they didn't will with sea water. If they did, replace them. If your fuel tank vent didn't go under, your fuel should be fine. This is just the start of the work ahead of you.
 
If you value your boat at all, you'll get off the Internet, have a tow service come get you and take you to a good boatyard where they will know how to save engines that have been submerged.

You have to act fast ande do everything right.
 
If the batteries were connected, there shot.
you will need to replace all the electrical parts first, starters, batteries,battery cables, dist, hyd trim pumps,bilge blowers.
If this happened more than 24 hours ago, everything is toast.motors need to be cleaned and run within 24 hrs or the rusting begins. no amount of wd-40 will save it.
 
Is this in salt water???
Batteries in the stern and submerged?
 
I'm afraid this comment won't help you at present, but for future consideration, when I'm about to pull riser elbows I 1st close the RW sea cock , then as soon as each exhaust hose is removed from the riser/elbow I insert PVC end-caps of the appropriate size in the hose and hose-clamp them secure to help prevent catastrophe if the exhaust hoses fall lower than the waterline.

Suggest at the very least you drain all the salty oil out of the crankcase and replace with cheap oil (since you will be changing it & filter multiple times), get spark plugs out and shoot crank oil or Marvel MO or even outboard TCW-3 in all the cylinders and start turning the crank bolt with a long breaker bar if it hasn't seized.If water comes out of cylinders that had exhaust valves open , add some more oil there. Then take apart the starter WD, clean and relube, and WD/dry out the distributor and try spraying the alternator heavily with WD-40.

If you know you have water out of the engine and oil in the cylinders and are desperate to spin it over you could try HD auto jumpers from a known good , full-charge battery positive to the starter terminal on the starter solenoid and battery negative to clean bare engine ground ...if... there are no gas fumes present. If the starter is still wet it may fry though.
 
As mentioned, I would hook up a known good battery. Little things like lights and bilge pumps to not demand a large current draw compared to the starter. Have all the spark plugs removed just in case there is still some residual fluid in a clyinder. If the starter works let it crank to dispell any fluids; whether water or what ever you put in there.
 
Need some feed-back here.

We'll assume you cleaned your engine. The next thing is ALL your wiring has to be replaced. Especially if the wires are stranded copper and not tinned(silver color).

All your electrical connections have to be removed and the contact area wire brushed.
You're not getting any 'BUZZ' cuz electricity can't get by corroded contacts.

AGAIN, Are you in salt water? Really destroys your electricals.
 
thanks for all the replies guys. I've been working on it hence not being back on here. I can turn both engines by hand still and anything tyat had positive volts to it corroded right off. Have been changing connectors and drying cylinders.
One engine now gives me buzz but the starter is wet and just clicks. The other engine connections are rotted right off on its starter. Yes lots of work ahead. Having insurance come look at everything finally after no contact from them for a week or more. Thats not good. yep.

Never should have happened. Exhausts are above water but a low tide tilted the boat on me. WD 40, Kroil, brake degreaser etc. are my best friends right now.
 
yes salt water. working it. At least we found out why the buzzers dont buzz. The wires rotted away.

quote:

Originally posted by jtybt15

Need some feed-back here.

We'll assume you cleaned your engine. The next thing is ALL your wiring has to be replaced. Especially if the wires are stranded copper and not tinned(silver color).

All your electrical connections have to be removed and the contact area wire brushed.
You're not getting any 'BUZZ' cuz electricity can't get by corroded contacts.

AGAIN, Are you in salt water? Really destroys your electricals.




 
Back
Top